92 4x4 auto 318 > 360 conversion

Page 2 of 2
Earl, As I said, I swapped my '96 318 for a 2001 360. The 360 flex plate has a counterweight. The 360 has a counterweight on the front balancer as well.
The 318 had no counterweights. The 360 engine I used was an automatic, but my '96 was a manual 5 speed. In fact, what I did was after being quoted $300 for a new 360 Flywheel, I measured the counterweight on the flexplate and milled an equivalent amount of iron off the back of the 318 flywheel exactly at 180 degrees offset from the flexplate counterweight. Worst case would be that it wouldn't work and I would have to buy a new flywheel anyway, but it turned out fine. In fact I can balance a glass of water on the air cleaner

I own two 92 dakotas.
one is a 3.9 5spd, 232k Poor brakes, Lots of brake fade.
other is a "new to me" 92 4x4 auto with a 360 i installed.. It has New rotors, new calipers, new Autozone Top of the line pads I put new shoes on her yesterday. I also has poor brakes, WILLNOT Slide the wheels.. Lots of brake fade.
Is there a SECRET to having DECENT brakes on a 92 dakota????????
earl
Earl Groce wrote:

Have you bled the brakes lately? Do you know about bedding new pads? Read: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm And: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
--
Ken

Ive replaced all the fluid, while replacing all the brakes... did not use a HP brake fluid.
Ive read about bedding the pads before and was doing the bedding process.. after about the 4th stopping cycle, I essentially had no brakes.. Have not tried them today.
Earl
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:42:17 -0500, "Nosey"

Today, I tryed "Stabbing" the brakes real hard at 50mph. The tires locked... BUt on the third stop from 50 mph, they had faded REALLY BAD.
earl

Did you try replacing the master cylinder? Does this vehicle have 4 wheel ABS?
"Earl Groce" < snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com> wrote in message
I have not replaced the Master Cyl.....
THe truck has NO ABS.... even tho there is a light on the dash.
earl