92 Dakota intermittent shut off

1992 Dakota 318 A/T Will intermittently shut down If I am travelling at road speed the engine continues to turn, and in approx 8-10 seconds it will start back up, own it's own. It's just same as if you turned
the ignition off and back on except.when it happens, the tach falls to zero, and the "Maint Reqd" light goes off (it has been on for some time) but all of the other guages continue to register, normally.
It has been doing this for about a year, and nobody has been able to find it. The distributer module was replaced .. waste of money. It acts exactly like some "Circuit breaker" is tripping then resetting itsself. It is totally intermittent. It may do it once/month or several times/day. Can find no commonality (like I just hit a bump or am in a hard turn, or whatever) except -- maybe -- it seems to be more frequent during hotter weather.
If it was the fuel pump, then the Tach and Ck Eng lamp should not shutdown. If it was the Ign switch, then all of the other guages should quit. also?? Or am I wrong about that??
Have checked the Batt Cables, tugged and pulled on all harnesses with it idleing, have looked and puzzled and beat on everything in sight, under the hood, have cursed and jumped up and down.
I have a factorty manual, have studied the wiring diagrams for Circuit Breakers, etc, can find none.
The thing has got me stumped.
Any help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
So many Garys and Clydes ..so.. "Leroy"
Leroy,
This sounds similar to a problem I had with a Chevy. Turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. Be driving along and it would just shut off, then after a brief period restart. GM had a recall on their alternators and replacing it fixed my problem. The voltage regulator would 'skip a beat' and shut the entire system down. Don't know if this applies to Dodges, but it may be worth looking into. HTH.
Bill

I had the same problem with a ford years ago. Turned out to be a bad ignition switch.

Replaced Crank Positioning Senser. No help. Finally broke down and replaced the computer on the passenger's side under-hood fender well. Presto. Problem solved.