94 Dakota FM/AM Casette Radio

Out of the clear, my radio quit working in my 94 Dakota. It just went completly dead, no noise, nothing. Fuse checks okay, so must be an internal problem. Has anyone else had this same problem, and what did you do about it?

Thanks for any help

Ron

Reply to
Ron S.

Bought an aftermarket cd/am/fm radio. Nicer sound too!!

Reply to
Lorne

What brand did you get? I don't want to make a major rewiring job out of this, I would like to just stick another in, if that is possible.

Reply to
Ron S.

Reply to
Lorne

There is nothing to "rewire" Buy what ever radio suits your fancy, get the wiring harness adaptor and the dash kit. It should take you no more then 30 minutes to pull the old one out and have the new one in.

Reply to
azwiley1

The radio has two sources of power. One goes on and off with the key, the other is always on. Did you check them both?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If this is the OE radio checking the switched and constant power will not fix the problem. There is no fuse on either line behind the radio and only on fuse in the distro block for the radio. With what he has said to this point, the radio is dead and needs to be replaced.

Reply to
azwiley1

Sorry, his post said he checked the fuse.

"Out of the clear, my radio quit working in my 94 Dakota. It just went completly dead, no noise, nothing. Fuse checks okay, so must be an internal problem. Has anyone else had this same problem, and what did you do about it?"

Fuse is singular. I assumed he thought there was just one.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I did check one fuse, the one the manual listed for a non-working radio, #12 I believe it was. Either way the old radio will have to come out, so I will check things out a little as I take it out or on the bench. I have not replaced a radio for about 35 years, and it wasn't fun back then. But then we didn't have adapters for the wiring harness like you spoke of. Thanks for the comments and help.

Reply to
Ron S.

Here is how to take the radio out.

There should be about 12 torx screws around the dash trim bezel. Remove them using a T-10 or T-15.

Pull the bezel off at this point. Remove the 2 screw (philips or 10 mm) Pull the radio out, unplug the antenna, gray and black plug and remove the ground strap (10 mm bolt)

Attach the wiring harness adaptor to the new radio's harness, color to color (cap off any that don't match as they are not used)

Clip the end off the grounding strap and attach it to the ground wire from the radio.

Reverse everything else.

Reply to
azwiley1