94 dodge caravan question

Any idea how long the timing belts last in these under normal circumstances?

I assume you have the 3.0 Mitsubishi in it. My parents have just under 300,000 km on theirs. My wife's 96 with the same motor has about 285k. I'm not planning on changing either of them any time soon.
Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@NOJUNKsympatico.ca says...

Bad mistake, Kevin. Have you ever seen the after effects of a broken belt on a 3.0? It's ugly. I suggest that you change both of them in the very near future.
--
Bruce Grant
Westminster, Md
Bruce Grant wrote:

The 3.0 is NOT an interference engine.
No bent valves.
the last 'interference' engine used by Mopar was the infamous 2.6 4 cylinder

So what is Bruce talking about being a mess. I could see the belt breaking and talking out the plastice covers but that's about it.
Ron
TranSurgeon wrote:

Bruce is in error.

Ay-yup. Still have one customer with a 2.6 in an 87 Caravan. Stupid thing won't die like it should...
ok,if thats so,how do you explain 2 bent intake valves,and 2 exhaust valves on a pl,neon,that dropped a water pump,and the t-belt followed?i also know the 3.0 mitts.wont do that.mo.jeep service tech.

snapped a belt and it had bent valves
--
Bruce Grant
Westminster, Md
Bruce Grant wrote:

Did you notice if it had any cut outs in the pistons ? I just had a 1989 3.0L apart and it had them thus making it a non interference eng
Bruce what kind of mess are you talking about being that this is not an interference engine ?
Bruce Grant wrote:

Bent valves.
--
Bruce Grant