'94 Ram bad paint

I have a black '94 Ram 2500. About 2 years ago a small spot appeared on the hood where the clear coat was apparently wearing off. It has spread like cancer onto all of the horizontal surfaces of the truck. Does anyone know of a recall for this problem or am I out a paint job. The sides of the truck look brand new. Thanks for any replies.

ZoSo

Reply to
ZoSo

I had the same problem on my 94 1500. It started with the hood which I had re-painted for $300 and the roof was starting to wear off when I sold it last summer.

I don't think there was a recall issued and it's doubtful you'd get much help 11 years later. :(

Ron W.

Reply to
RW

Ya, the roof is toast too. And the tops of the fenders aren't far behind. Thanks Dodge.

Reply to
ZoSo

What urks me is my 87, 90 and 92 all did this. Why the hell didn't they fix a known problem? GM, Ford and lots of the Jap cars also do this.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The 97 does it as well and it is happening to mine now.

Reply to
TBone

That was the time period when the "Big Three" (and probably others) got some bad primer. The paint didn't stick real well. I went through GM's adjudication process with a zone rep and got my 91 Corsica repainted in '95. My father had his 92 Dodge RAM repainted at no cost in '97 for the same problem. A Co-worker had her 91 RAM done at about the same time.

But I think Ron is right - 11 years is probably stretching it for any support from the manufacturers.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

The clear coat on the top of the left front fender of my '92 Ram started breaking down when the truck was about three years old. The dealer repaired it immediately at no cost to me. Had no other problems with the paint, or the rest of the truck, for that matter, and traded it for a brand-new 2003. Great trucks, great dealer.

Reply to
Fredrick Brender