95 dodge ram 2500

Truck has just had batteries replaced and cable connectors replaced. Problem still persists that after glow plug light goes out I engage the starter and the voltage drops to @8 volts and a clicking sound is heard. I
can continue to try to start it and it will start after a few times. It started a while back but has gotten progressively worse. PEP Boys checked the electricals twice and said everything is fine including the starter. What are they missing
volts and a clicking sound is heard. I

Check the voltage at BOTH batteries while cranking. Put the meter probes right on the battery posts, not on the pinch terminals. See if they both read the same. Report back.
Al
"Big Al" wrote:

Another thing I would do at this stage is to get or borrow a clamp on current meter to see how much power is going were during glow plug preheat and cranking. Also (and this one is a must do) put a voltmeter between each postive battery terminal when cranking and record reading and then between the starter and each postive battery terminal and record those reading to. (this will tell us how much voltage drop or current loss there may be and also if batteries are both carrng the load. Do this and let me see your numbers.
volts and a clicking sound is heard. I

Don't know if you checked the cable lug at the starter. Anyway, there is a rubber boot to keep all the crap off the connection, it has a drain hole that get's plugged with crap and corrosion set's in.
Roy
volts and a clicking sound is heard.

How does that make the voltage drop to 8? Do you think he measured it at the starter bolt? Could have I guess... Bet that starter terminal gets hot plenty fast when this happens:)
Al