95 RAM engine swap

I have to get and swap a used motor into a 1995 4WD RAM pickup. Seems like I read that motors from 1993 to 1997 are same/compatible. My local used parts yard wants to sell me a 2001 motor and says they're all the same.

Is this true? Will I have to do some cobbing to make it work? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make this job go easily?

Thanks

KrustyBaguette

Q: What's the difference between a computer salesman and a used car salesman? A: A used car salesman knows when he's lying.

  • TagZilla 0.066 *
Krusty Baguette

Maybe. Your query sends me the message that you are not a skilled mechanic. Assuming that I am correct, do not attempt this on your own. There are many pitfalls and you will find all of them unless you have done this several times before. This is not inexpensive and could very easily exceed the total value of the truck. The end result will only be a '95 Ram. Think about it before you waste your money. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Nope, I've done lots of engine swaps over the years, and know all the basics. I just haven't done a Dodge (that I can remember) and was looking for any vehicle specific tricks of the trade.

Krusty Baguette typing from Podunk, MA "Strip away the phony tinsel of Hollywood and you will find the real tinsel underneath." Oscar Levant

  • TagZilla 0.066 *
Krusty Baguette

back when i was young, dumb and poor i swapped in several used engines from the salvage yard. every single one of them turned into a nightmare at some point. how many miles are on this "used" engine? are they willing to guarantee that it will work for a set number of miles or period of time? if you get it installed and it shows signs of being worn out can you get a refund and will they reimburse you your labor?

one used motor i installed had a knocking rod. they gave me a refund but i was out the labor to install and remove it. another used engine i bought lasted about 60 days and came apart. when i did the autopsy it looked like it had about a million miles without an oil change. what is the price difference between this used engine and a reputable rebuilt motor or a factory crate engine?

as far as engine swaps in this year range you shouldn't have any real issues other than diagnosing the reasons you can't get the check engine light to go away. just make sure to have a code scanner handy after you get it up and running. you will probably have two or three codes to deal with. michael

Reply to
nunya

It would help if you mentioned the engine size, all will interchange up to '01 with the usual caveats about the possibility of having to change induction, electrics, mounts, etc.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Good advice. I have a '95 Magnum 4x4 that is in excellent condition with about 175,000 miles on the 318 and I would go with a crate engine if it ever shows any signs of giving up the ghost. There are a lot of issues to weigh when it comes to an engine replacement. Tranny was done about 2000 miles ago and rear end 10,000 ago. Right now, the engine is still running great with no oil usage or power loss, so I have no idea how long it will go and I am very big on maintainence. Since it is paid for and in good shape otherwise, replacing the motor is a good option for me. If I were having other problems I would not bother and just go new or low milage used. I have a spacer on the intake, Mopar performance computer, K&N filter and cold air intake, MSD ignition and real dual exhaust and get about 18mpg highway. The old beast would be tough to get rid of.......:-).

Ed

Reply to
Ed Medlin

The vehicle I'll be doing this on/to is a 5.9L with automatic transmission. I'm doing the work for my cheapskate boss so I'm not at financial risk, but at the same time I want to get it best.

The motor I'm most likely to get is from an '01 and has 90K miles on it. The yard is asking for $750. Since the engine is already out of the original vehicle is there anything I should look for externally? For example will the exhaust match a '95's? Will ignition system be identical or at least compatible? Will the starter from the '95 match the '01? That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to get answers for.

I've traveled that road myself on my own car back in the 80's...a Toyota Tercel wagon that never recovered from a blown head gasket on the original motor. The two replacements worked but never were quite right.

Since the engine is already out of the vehicle will the yard probably have drained the oil? Would pulling the drain plug reveal any telltale sludge deposits?

The difference between a used engine and a rebuilt/crate engine is that my cheapskate boss would junk the truck before putting a $3000 motor in it. I suspect he just wants to keep it going for another year or two.

Funny you should mention codes. This truck was in for cosmetic surgery with an old timer who does some work for the company. Once the body was done and he took it in for an inspection sticker all sorts of mechanical problems arose. He's swapped out two or three computers, replaced the catalytic converter, which was plugged, and a made a bunch of other attempts to get it running right over the winter. I have to try to get this vehicle up and running satisfactorily without hurting the old timer's feelings.

Well, tomorrow's probably the day I'll be heading off to the junkyard to pick up the motor. I'll drop in an update when it's done.

Thanks to all for comments, suggestions. I'll check back after you have a chance to digest all of the above.

KB