'96 1500 trans

I didn't realize I had no first gear in the auto trans., until today. Someone else drove it and suggested I do not have first gear. The truck has driven this way since 2001!.
Is it possible something like linkage or a solenoid or an electrical problem? Also, the overdrive indicator light has not worked since 2001. Can there be a connection between no first gear and no OD light? The tranny does not whine or make any strange sounds.
Thanks, J1
The no first gear issue might be a governor pressure sensor/solenoid problem , which seems common.
As to the OD light, its usually off, unless you lock out the OD.
--
Max