96 dodge dakota no reverse

My so pulled out of the school parking lot just fine, got home, and had no reverse. All other gears appear to work fine. No indication of something going wrong just all of the sudden. I know Fords and Chevys
but after reading the stories here I see there could be bigger problems. Any suggestions prior to going to the shop.
My last three Dodge vans all lost reverse. And oddly enough lost third gear at the same time. All needed to go to the transmission shop for a rebuild.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Sudden loss of Reverse with all other gears working fine is usually a malfunction in the rear band or servo. Place the shifter in "1", accelerate to around 20 mph and throttle back to idle; if the vehicle just freewheels with no engine compression braking, the rear band/servo is the problem.
Depending on engine size you could have either a 42RE or 46RE transmission and the OD unit can also cause loss of Reverse. On some units the rear servo fault can be serviced by removing the pan.
Loss of Reverse with an accompanying loss of 3rd gear is a problem in the front clutch.
Thanks for the help. We are going out to check the 2st gear now. We were planning on pulling the pan tomorrow and changing the filter and fluid. The truck has the 4.8 engine I don't know which transmission yet. What should I look for in the adjustment?
John Kunkel wrote:

We just checked it and yes it freewheels. Is this a fix that is easily accomplished or do I need to do a complete rebuild. I have worked on everything except transmissions. Please advise. I appreciate your help. John Kunkel wrote: