96 Ram, little or no heat

I have a 96 Ram 1500 with AC, and have little or no heat. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the system and get very little if any heat. Odd thing
is when I turn the defrost on, it will blow cold air. Any ideas as to what the problem or problems could be?
MrBlues

your windshield? If you do, the heater core has a leak.

With the engine well warmed up, grasp both heater hoses and feel if they are both hot; if they're not, water isn't circulating through the heater core. If the hoses are both hot, the blend door in the heater box is probably not working correctly; check the cable adjustment.
In the absence of heat it's normal for the defrost to blow cold air since the A/C compressor is energized in the Defrost mode.
I am thinking it is the heater core, as I do get steam on the inside windows. I looked at the placement of the heater core and it looks like a pain to do myself or is it easier than it looks?
MrBlues

No - harder.

MrBlues wrote:

If that's the case, it's probably just air in the system. You'll need to purge it a little better. Did you drill a hole in the thermostat?
--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.