96 X-cab leaking

Some time back (years) I posted about the interior of my cab getting wet. It wasn't noticeable unless you placed your hand on the passenger side carpet, then you'd feel a slight moisture. It was not the ac evap tube as many on here posted. This past winter I drove through one heck of a rain storm and both sides were soaking wet. Today it was nice and warm and I was motivated. I removed the complete interior. Didn't really see any large neon sign saying looky here. I did find however a few telltale marks coming from each lower corner of the rear window gasket. I do have the sliding rear window, not the solid one. The drivers side rear-side window may have a leak to it as well. I squeezed auto sealant up into both corners, under the gasket. Tomorrow with a water hose or Wed when it's supposed to rain I'll do a water check. I did put the drivers seat back in it for use. I mostly ride my bikes so being without a truck isn't a big deal.

Wish I'd been motivated long ago to do this.

While the carpet is out, I laid the water hose, soap, and scrub brush to it. Scrubbed the dickens out of it. Looks the cleanest it's ever been. Can't believe how much crud came out of the carpet on the drivers side, especially where my left foot rests. Can't figure that one out. Brown junk poured out for 5 minutes as I hit it with the hose. There sure isn't much sound deadening in the cab either. There are two small pieces on both sides in the rear that lay down in the pocket. created by the arm rests.

I may see if there is a asphalt sheet or something I can lay down in there and mold it with a heat gun for even more damping. Truck is pretty quiet as it is.

This truck came with the Infinity system. Front and rear speakers have the amp built onto the back of each speaker. I've read on this forum years ago, that the amps were a separate unit under the dash. Not on mine.

The truck is 11 years old, has over 200k miles and is still going strong. I did rebuild the tranny at 122k. Most of the front end has been rebuilt over time as its worn out. I probably should have done it all at once. The TRW track bar is still holding up well. The truck is starting to show some signs of wear. Phooey! Can't beat it though. It's long been paid off and is still making the tires go round and round.

Blessings, John

Reply to
Midlant

Several have reported the third brake light on the back of the cab leaking. It might not be the rear window.

Check with a stereo shop for "dynamat".

My '99 Ram Infinity system has an amp mounted on each front door speaker.

It sounds like a "keeper".

Reply to
Nosey

The early model cabs had a habit of leaking around the third brake light. I'd reseal that first.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

My 96 had the same issues. In additon to the high-mounted brake light seal leaking, the drain holes in the sliding rear window guides were clogged. Replaced the brake light gasket and cleaned out the guides. The truck has been dry ever since. Hope that works for you.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

Thanks Ralph. I might just do that (replace the gasket of the brake light). To the other posters above, I sealed it with aquarium rtv sealant some years back. If that's leaking, I can't tell from inside the cab. I see stains running down from each corner of the rear window. DOes teh brak elight leak, seep down to the window gasket, then down the back of the can to pool in the pockets at the rear of the cab. Pooling up there it then fills up to run down the little gulley along each side to finally pool in the floor pan.

I was outside looking at the carpet that I scrubbed so diligently yesterday. It's a lot cleaner than it was but still has some stains on the passenger side where the back seaters get in and out of the front door and on the drivers side where my feet rest. I can put it back in and not worry about it or spend $130 for carpet via the interent. Hopefully they cut all the holes for seat mounts, 4wd shifter, etc.... Then again perhaps I wshoudl just go with black vinyl instead of carpet, even though the seats are all carpeted as are the doors and headliner. Speaking of which, the headliner is starting to peel away front and rear about a 1/4". Tomorrow I'll call upholstery shops and see if I can find one to redo it for cheap. John

Reply to
Midlant

Brake Light is leaking. When it does, it appears like the water is coming from the rear window. That is because the rear cab wall is a double panel and the Brake light leaks in between. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Typically, you get the minimum amount of cuts.... that way, one carpet is good for both 2WD/4WD, and auto/stick. When I put new carpeting in both my '95 and '99, I had to cut them for the shifters. No big deal, though - you just use your old carpet as a template, and cut a little smaller. You can always trim more as you fit it in. It's a lot harder putting pieces back.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Nope. Not the third brake light as I said before. I took the hose to it this afternoon. Water came in like niagra falls. The hose was only on the top body seam. (Passenger side) Went around to drivers side, again the water was rushing in. Then place hose on the window itself and the water filled the tracks up inside and over flowed. The rubber gasket on the sliding window doesn't go all the way to the bottom track. Water comes straight in. Hose to third brake light, nothing except when the water ran over to gasket at the top body seams, then it flooded in. I also found a missing rubber plug in the passenger door behind the latch. The little hole allowed the water to flood in as well. Tomorrow I'm going to call and see how much a gasket costs and if they can replace the seals on the sliding windows too. If not I might replace the rear window with a solid one. If price gets outrageous (I'm not employed) I'll try rtv to everything and see what that does. John

Reply to
Midlant