97 Dakota 2WD Shocks

I've got a 97 Dakota Longbed 2WD. Would it be worth the money to get Bilsteins? Any ideas are welcomed.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

I don't know, according to you I am too thin skinned! (FYI for the reading impaired, this is a JOKE!)

Being that it is a 2wd and likely see little to no off-road use, I would say no. I would stay with something that is not going to take away the ride and handling of it, the ProComp ES1000 series would be a good choice. Cheap (price wise) and will not harshen up the ride.

Reply to
azwiley1

Any brand-name shock is going to perform better than the stock ones, particularly if they're as old as the truck. Bilstein makes a good shock - you wouldn't be wasting your money.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks to both Tom and the wiley1. Both of your comments are appreciated, as I know you both speak from wisdom and experience.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Dakota Longbed 2WD. Would it be worth the money to get

Yup we do, I have the wisdom Tom has the experience. Every once in awhile we trade! LOL

Seriously though, I had a 97 Ram X-cab long bed 2wd and ran the Pro Comp ES3000 shocks and simply loved them.

Reply to
azwiley1

Depends on what your goals are and what you do with the truck. Bilsteins are expensive. They are a high performance shock designed to compliment a well designed high performance suspension. They can really improve the handeling for those that are looking for every tenth of a gee while cutting tight corners. For those people something like a Bilstein or Koni will help round out the suspension package. But if the rest of the suspension is stock and you're not on the road course, I don't think they are worth the money. For a quality shock on an essentially stock truck, look for something from Pro Comp, Rancho, etc. Even a cheap Monroe Magnum will be better than stock. I use Rancho RS5000 on my dakota. But I use Koni's on my CObra - it sees a lot of track time.

Reply to
.boB

Wait... didn't you have the experience last? Aw, man.... I was SURE you had it. WTH did I do with it?? That was my LAST package, too... DAMMIT!

:^)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Depends... I put a set of 5100's on my Ram a few months ago, with a DRAMATIC improvement in handling, and general road feel. I paid $79 each. Rancho RS5000's go for about $53 each. So, about $100 more for the Bilstiens. Yes, they were more expensive, but not terribly so. I acknowledge that I would have gotten very similar results from a set of RS5000's.... but what the heck.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Here ya go Tom, I'll let you have what I have left, so now you have Experience and Wisdom!

Reply to
azwiley1

are you up to 3 wheels on the back yet to get all that power to the ground or are you just counting on the new shocks to help keep her planted?

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Two is still pretty good for now. It actually takes quite a bit to bust the duallies loose (though a 15psi launch does light them up nicely - I tend not to do that too much, as it scares the crap out of everyone around [myself included]). That same launch in 4WD, well... that's a good way to induce a case of whiplash (and shot-put a U-joint a good 75-80 yards).

Speaking of which.... I'm still on factory U-joints. Hmmmm.... weekend project.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

LOL leave them.......shoot ya have abused them poor u-joints this long, why stop now?

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I'm being serious guys, the 2 of you and others here have given me a lot of great advice and I respect that.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

We know you were Ken, and though I can't speak for Tom, but I am sure he would echo this, Thank you.

Reply to
azwiley1

Talk about a massive suck-up. We'll never put up with you two now.....

Anybody got a chain saw so we can widen out the doorways??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Why? You wanna come in? :^)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Wow!! Hey rabbit, seems like he got ya.

Actually the wide ride will have probably have shrunken a size or two with all the water he's in.

Reply to
Roy

DAMN! rabbits shrink when they get wet? i thought that was cotton....

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Denny "cotton tail" ?

Reply to
Roy

OK, but how much could that "tail" actually shrink?

Reply to
Chris Thompson