97 Dakota 2WD Shocks

Page 1 of 2
I've got a 97 Dakota Longbed 2WD. Would it be worth the money to get Bilsteins? Any ideas are welcomed.
Ken

I don't know, according to you I am too thin skinned! <Bg> (FYI for the reading impaired, this is a JOKE!)
Being that it is a 2wd and likely see little to no off-road use, I would say no. I would stay with something that is not going to take away the ride and handling of it, the ProComp ES1000 series would be a good choice. Cheap (price wise) and will not harshen up the ride.

Any brand-name shock is going to perform better than the stock ones, particularly if they're as old as the truck. Bilstein makes a good shock - you wouldn't be wasting your money.

Thanks to both Tom and the wiley1. Both of your comments are appreciated, as I know you both speak from wisdom and experience.
Ken

Yup we do, I have the wisdom Tom has the experience. Every once in awhile we trade! LOL
Seriously though, I had a 97 Ram X-cab long bed 2wd and ran the Pro Comp ES3000 shocks and simply loved them.

Wait... didn't you have the experience last? Aw, man.... I was SURE you had it. WTH did I do with it?? That was my LAST package, too... DAMMIT!
:^)
On Aug 23, 12:31 pm, "Tom Lawrence"

Here ya go Tom, I'll let you have what I have left, so now you have Experience and Wisdom!

I'm being serious guys, the 2 of you and others here have given me a lot of great advice and I respect that.
Ken

We know you were Ken, and though I can't speak for Tom, but I am sure he would echo this, Thank you.

Talk about a massive suck-up. We'll never put up with you two now.....
Anybody got a chain saw so we can widen out the doorways?? <GBMFG>
Denny

Why? You wanna come in? :^)

Wow!! Hey rabbit, seems like he got ya.<BFG>
Actually the wide ride will have probably have shrunken a size or two with all the water he's in.

DAMN! rabbits shrink when they get wet? i thought that was cotton....
--
Chris

Denny "cotton tail" ?

OK, but how much could that "tail" actually shrink?
--
Chris

Chris, it seems you are showing an interesting amount of interest in Denny's shrinkage. Is there something you want to confess here? <BFG>
FMB (North Mexico)
NapalmHeart wrote:

Depends on what your goals are and what you do with the truck. Bilsteins are expensive. They are a high performance shock designed to compliment a well designed high performance suspension. They can really improve the handeling for those that are looking for every tenth of a gee while cutting tight corners. For those people something like a Bilstein or Koni will help round out the suspension package. But if the rest of the suspension is stock and you're not on the road course, I don't think they are worth the money. For a quality shock on an essentially stock truck, look for something from Pro Comp, Rancho, etc. Even a cheap Monroe Magnum will be better than stock. I use Rancho RS5000 on my dakota. But I use Koni's on my CObra - it sees a lot of track time.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Depends... I put a set of 5100's on my Ram a few months ago, with a DRAMATIC improvement in handling, and general road feel. I paid $79 each. Rancho RS5000's go for about $53 each. So, about $100 more for the Bilstiens. Yes, they were more expensive, but not terribly so. I acknowledge that I would have gotten very similar results from a set of RS5000's.... but what the heck.

are you up to 3 wheels on the back yet to get all that power to the ground or are you just counting on the new shocks to help keep her planted?
<GBMFG>
--
Chris

Two is still pretty good for now. It actually takes quite a bit to bust the duallies loose (though a 15psi launch does light them up nicely - I tend not to do that too much, as it scares the crap out of everyone around [myself included]). That same launch in 4WD, well... that's a good way to induce a case of whiplash (and shot-put a U-joint a good 75-80 yards).
Speaking of which.... I'm still on factory U-joints. Hmmmm.... weekend project.