'97 Dakota pick-up

This truck surges a few hundred rpms during warm up. It also takes a very long time for the truck to warm up. Engine temp. will hard start to climb
after 15 minutes of running. Engine is 3.9L fuel injected and our mornings around here have been about 0 degrees F. Changed out the thermostat and even checked the old one in a pan of boiling water. Thermostat opened just before water boiled and is marked 195 degrees same as the one I replaced it with.
Try to replace thermostat. Old ones can wear out. It cost no more than 10 bucks for it. Then ur all set. (My opinion) Larry Ramby wrote:

He said that he replaced it.

But, he also said it opened just before the water boiled, and it was supposed to be a 195 degree thermostat....

But, isn't that where 195*F resides? Just before water boils (212*F)? Sounds like thermostat is good.
FMB (North Mexico)

Go demand your money back and don't send your children to that 'instructor'. Oh, and 212*F IS pretty friggin hot, its where water begins to boil at sea level.
100*C = 212*F
http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/conversion/centigradefahrenheit.php
FMB (North Mexico)

I was taught the boiling point of water before I ever took chemistry.
Ken

I have to wonder if that was a high school or college chemistry class that would make such a fundamental error. I have to think that it is amazing that no student challenged that information and presented evidence of the truth.
Ken
NapalmHeart wrote:

I've worked in El Centro California for a while. It gets hotter than 112F there in the shade in July. I didn't boil. It must be the 43 ft below sea level altitude.
--
The other Ken