97 Dakota stalls / dies after starting

I have a 97 Dakota 4x4, club cab, V6, Auto. About 75% of the time, when I turn the key, it starts, and then dies. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why. Cold or warm...sitting for a while or starting again immediately...it still does the same thing. This is how I have to start it when I have this problem:

I turn the key and give it a little gas. I then back the RPMs down to around 600 and hold it there for a couple seconds. Then I ease off the gas slowly, and it will usually hold and run fine. If I start it and do anything else, it dies.

For example, yesterday morning it started fine. I drove my 5 minutes to work, parked it and turned it off. I then tried to start it again, and the above problem occurred. Other times I start it in the morning or afternoon and have the problem immediately.

It gives off no trouble codes and has good fuel pressure (50) when it's running. Battery seems strong (it starts quick every time), and I've disconnected/reconnected it as well to reset the computer.

If anyone has any suggestions they think might help, I'd really love to hear them, here or on email. Thanks, Tracy

Reply to
tracyp1

"" wrote: > I have a 97 Dakota 4x4, club cab, V6, Auto. About 75% of the > time, when > I turn the key, it starts, and then dies. There doesn't seem > to be any > rhyme or reason why. Cold or warm...sitting for a while or > starting > again immediately...it still does the same thing. This is how > I have to > start it when I have this problem: > > I turn the key and give it a little gas. I then back the RPMs > down to > around 600 and hold it there for a couple seconds. Then I ease > off the > gas slowly, and it will usually hold and run fine. If I start > it and do > anything else, it dies. > > For example, yesterday morning it started fine. I drove my 5 > minutes to > work, parked it and turned it off. I then tried to start it > again, and > the above problem occurred. Other times I start it in the > morning or > afternoon and have the problem immediately. > > It gives off no trouble codes and has good fuel pressure (50) > when it's > running. Battery seems strong (it starts quick every time), > and I've > disconnected/reconnected it as well to reset the computer. > > If anyone has any suggestions they think might help, I'd > really love to > hear them, here or on email. Thanks, Tracy

is there a vacuum leak, or a leak in the fuel line? once it starts does it run fine? possible dirty injectors, colged fuel filter, bad plugs or wires, timing, distrubtor/roter. but I would start with the cheap stuff before going onto timing and fuel pump (thoe it sounds ok).

Reply to
xmirage2kx

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com