97 Dodge 1500 4X4

My 97' ram 1500 4X4 doesn't start, The check engine light isn't on and I not getting any codes with the code reader. The motor cranks fine I'm being
told to change the crank sensor but my thought is that this would definitely through a code has in past when it went to hell and should trip the check engine light.
Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the key? Are you getting spark, you can pull the coil wire off the distributer and put near engine while someone cranks it. Check fuses under hood.
--
Dick

"jeffrey David Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@tds.net> wrote in message

I just had a bad crank sensor on a '00 Durango. Crank/no fire, and no codes. The coil was only firing once per revolution of the engine - turns out it was firing off of the cam sensor. Threw in a new crank sensor, and it lit right up.
Check for spark at the #1 plug. If no spark there, check for spark at the coil (remove coil wire from distributor, put it on a plug, and ground plug to engine). If the crank sensor is good, you should see multiple sparks per revolution.
I' can't at the moment here the fuel pump but I can here the relay unfortunately there to much background noise and I'm to deaf to hear it, but I do believe its working. I pulled the wires coming into the coil off and there's no power to the coil should this be hot only when running or all the time?

There's power to pin #1 of the coil connector only when the ASD relay is engaged - which means only when the ignition switch is on, and the PCM sees input from the crank and/or cam sensors.
Now - check for spark from the coil like I suggested.
Checked the coil there is no spark at either #1 plug or at the coil itself. I checked the wires leading to the coil and the connection the seem good even though I have not tested them with a multi meter to be sure.

Change the crank sensor