97 Dodge 1500 4X4

My 97' ram 1500 4X4 doesn't start, The check engine light isn't on and I not getting any codes with the code reader. The motor cranks fine I'm being told to change the crank sensor but my thought is that this would definitely through a code has in past when it went to hell and should trip the check engine light.

Reply to
jeffrey David Miller

Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the key? Are you getting spark, you can pull the coil wire off the distributer and put near engine while someone cranks it. Check fuses under hood.

Reply to
DDT

I just had a bad crank sensor on a '00 Durango. Crank/no fire, and no codes. The coil was only firing once per revolution of the engine - turns out it was firing off of the cam sensor. Threw in a new crank sensor, and it lit right up.

Check for spark at the #1 plug. If no spark there, check for spark at the coil (remove coil wire from distributor, put it on a plug, and ground plug to engine). If the crank sensor is good, you should see multiple sparks per revolution.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Reply to
jeffrey David Miller

There's power to pin #1 of the coil connector only when the ASD relay is engaged - which means only when the ignition switch is on, and the PCM sees input from the crank and/or cam sensors.

Now - check for spark from the coil like I suggested.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Reply to
jeffrey David Miller