97 dodge diesel

Page 1 of 2
I have a 97 dodge 3/4 ton HD with a 6 cylinder 5.9 liter 12 valve diesel. According to Chrysler it puts out 235 hp. I pull a 7,000lb 5th wheel with
no problem. The manual says that the truck has a towing capacity of about 11,500lbs. I'm considering a larger 5th wheel but I'm concerned about the horsepower of the truck versus the weight of a larger trailer. I've talked to the local dodge dealer about how to increase the HP but they are not very forthcoming with information. Can someone give me some idea's about how to increase the trucks power. Thanks

If you can find a Cummins mechanic that has his/her own shop, they will have the computer codes that will increase your HP.....

Nope - no computer on a '97... the engine is completely mechanical. The only things electrical are the starter, and the fuel cutoff solenoid.

Oops, sorry...didn't realize my husband's 95 didn't have a computer, I was answering based on my 2003 Ram....:)
Granny Grump wrote:

The '97 isn't computer controlled. The electronic diesels weren't available in the Dodge until mid way through '98.
Dennis wrote:

Read this: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/power_p7100.htm

http://www.tstproducts.com
That was strange. Two replies each by the both of us in this thread pretty much saying the same thing within a minute of each other.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!! :)
says...

--
Bruce Grant
Westminster, Md

Sorry, I ment to say doesn't mean jack crap.

Jay wrote:

Horsepower is nothing more than an expression of torque diluted by RPM.
I dug out my letter from Chrysler and it reads Horse power: 175 kW (235bhp)@4000 rpm Torque: 447N-m (330 lb-ft)@3000 rpm
So how does that translate into 180 HP?

Dennis wrote:

It doesn't. Dodge never offered a Cummins engine with the power ratings you claim. Find the CPL tag on the driver's side of the timing case on the front of the engine. It will tell you the torque and hp ratings as well as the governed rpm.
Torque 330 lb-ft? Nope, that's a screw up, lowest rated Dodge Cummins I've ever seen was 400 lb.-ft. This sounds like a gas engine rating to me.

These are the power specs for the 5.9L gas engine, not the 5.9L diesel.
Well isn't that enough to fry your butt. This info. came right from Chrysler based on my VIN number. I'm going to ask them again.
rpm

Uhhh.. you're sure you actually have a diesel under your hood, right? :)
Your VIN should be:
1 or 3 - built in either US of Mexico B - Dodge 7 - Truck K - between 8 and 9 thousand lbs. GVW (yours is 8,800lbs) C or F - 2WD or 4WD 2 - 2500 3 or 6 - club cab or regular cab C - 6cyl. diesel ? - check digit, doesn't mean anything (to you, anyway) V - 97 model year G or J - Mexico or St. Louis assembly plant
The last six digits are your serial number
Yep, it's a diesel, assembled in Mexico. My serial number starts with VM and where you show a "C" for 6cylinder diesel, mine is a D. I'm in Canada. Maybe there's a difference for this market????
Dennis