97 Dodge info needed.

Page 1 of 3
I just bought a 97 Dodge Dakota Sport (146,000 miles) with a V-6 engine and 4 speed auto trans . I am wanting info on getting more power from the engine .I know a upgrade in the exhaust and intake air would be a
good place to start but if any one has any suggestions where to go after that I would value your info. Also I would like to know if these trucks in /around the same year model have any common problems. Thank you.
You get a 239 cubic inch V-6 in a 4000+ pound vehicle and you want it to do 0-60 in less than a heartbeat . . . easy, fill the back end with nitroglycerine and slam the liftgate.
I find myself wondering which is the more stupid, you for buying an underpowered (for your needs, apparently) vehicle, or me for wanting to ask you "what the heck were you thinking?" for not considering it could be underpowered for what you need it to do.
You might look for a better computer chip, a some kind of supercharger ( there was one advertised in the group the other day), or a vehicle with the engine you really need in it.
--
Budd Cochran

Budd Cochran wrote:

So the Cummins owners can't be too bright either. They're always looking for more, they should have bought 5-ton trucks.
don't tempt some of us...we just might do it.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Why? I can get a hell of a lot more out of mine. Do you have any idea how detuned these engines are? Apparently not.
Roy

I just reread my previous post, it was a lot harsher than intended, sorry. These Cummins have gobs of room for horsepower increases. I believe with the smarty program you can pick up in the area of 60 additional horsepower.
Roy
Roy wrote:

I'm not bashing Cummins. But Leon just bought a Dodge and asked a couple nice questions and said Thank You, and then... I'm sure Budd is rereading his post too.
(Sarcasm mode at warp factor 300)
I'm sorry, I didn't know you were my nanny this week. Gosh, I'd sure like it if mum to let me know these things. Oh, dear, she can't. She passed away in 81.
(Sarcasm reduced to impulse speed)
Obviously you have not been in this group for very long or you would know there are an average of about 8 of these "I-bought-a-V-6-and-I-want it-to-run-like-a-Viper-or-a-Peterbuilt" posts per year, if not more.
I'm sorry if you can't understand how it gets tiresome listening to these whiners about how they didn't use their God given brains to figure out that a V-6 isn't going to tow that 50 foot fifth wheel over (Colorado's Monarch Pass ( over 11,000 feet) or turn the quarter mile faster than a AA/FD, or get better gas mileage than a 50 cc Moped.
Or worse; how they think a K$N airfilter with a Tornado device in the (carb / throttle body) and magnets on the fuel lines will cause all those things to magically happen.
Now, killfile me and go bother someone else.
--
Budd Cochran

Nah, I think I'll keep ya around to watch this phase.
I hope you enjoy it, for it'll show what kind of person _you_ are.
--
Budd Cochran

Budd at time you antics are funny. I do enjoy a chuckle no and then. When your antics aren't funny then I'll follow your advice.
Unfortunately, I can't say the same for your "antics".
They're just bigoted liberalism.
--
Budd Cochran

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:03:26 -0600, "Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@preciscom SPAM.net> wrote:>Unfortunately, I can't say the same for your "antics".

wow. thats all, just wow.

Friggin weird huh?

that would be an understatement.

I think we need to increase his Aricept.
beekeep

How is finding your antic's at time's funny "bigoted liberalism"??
Oh, where do I begin . . . .
you're a liberal.
There, that says it all.
Bye!