97 dodge ram shakes

I have a 97 dodge ram 2500 4 wheel drive, every now and then when iam on the highway at 65+ it will start to shake like iam going over railroad ties when i slow to about 40 it goes away. I have changed the u-joints and shocks and checked underneath for any loose or worn out parts but found nothing.

Reply to
paul1958

Did you check the tires?

Reply to
TBone

Worn track bar. Look closely at the ball joint on the frame end of the track bar, while someone cycles the steering. ANY movement in this joint indicates wear, and needs replacement. #1 cause of the infamous "death wobble" is this joint wearing out.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Would that go away when he slows down?

Reply to
TBone

Yep. That's the only way to get it to stop. Trying to drive through it only makes it worse. I had this issue in my '95, and again on my '99 - though the '99 had it worse because of the lift/tires. On the '95, I just replaced the track bar with a new one. On the '99, I changed to a DT ProFab adjustable track bar that uses a heim joint rather than a ball joint.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Cool, thanks. It hasn't happened to me yet but the truck is getting old and it may only be a matter of time. I just hope that it's a long time.

Reply to
TBone

Windecker Machine makes a bracket to adapt the improved 2003+ track bar on the 1994-2002 Rams. I don't know if it's any better than the Luke's link repair or other aftermarket bars, but it's another option. See:

Nosey

thanks for the help will take a look at the track bar.

Reply to
paul1958

Thanks Tom. At least I know what was wrong with my 01 Ram. It did this since new and Dodge kept telling me it was normal. I recently sold the truck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

You may have had a caster wooble that can happen with straight axle and get worse with lift and tires, Resting the caster angle and setting proper toe will usually cure it.

Reply to
TheSnoMan