97 Grand Cherokee

I am buing a hsed 1997 Grand Cherokee, 197,000 runs ok, but wont idle. Goes down the road good. If you sit in park, and bring the idle up over 2000
RPM, she is good, but will not stay running at idle.
Any ideas?????
. Thanx Shawn in NY
My bad the motor is a 4.0 6cyl.

Try cleaning the Idle Air Control motor and plunger.
--
Max

Grand Cherokee is a Dodge?

My 1987 Cherokee was, my 2000 is...where have you been?
Shawn, It could be a number of things. Not to sound condescending, but I am guessing that you do not know a whole lot about car repair. Based on this, I would think twice about buying a used vehicle with 197,000 miles on it. I don't know how much you are paying, or even really how much knowledge, skill and tools you have, but this does not sound like a good idea.

I am not awfull concerned with the mileage, as this will only be used around town. As for the knowledge part. I dont do mechanics for a living, but I think I know my way around a car. :) Just dont want to start replacing parts that dont actually fix the problem. Shawn