98 Dakota Timing Chain or Belt?

A friend asked me a question yesterday and I'm not sure of the answer. So I wanted to ask the experts. He has a 98 Dodge Dakota

2.5l auto trans. He asked me if the truck has a timing chain or belt. It has 121K and if it has a belt he wants to change it before it breaks. Can someone answer this for me? And Roy, how's the shoulder feeling?

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Bob M queried:

It's a single-roller timing chain (Sealed Power #222-3SR64). That chain probably still has a little life left in it... wouldn't be a bad idea to check it, though. If it had a belt, it likely would've gone t-u many miles ago.

So, Roy, how IS that shoulder feeling? Inquiring minds want to know!

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

That is (believe it or not) a AMC motor if it is a 2.5 (not a Dodge motor) as they were used in the dakota from 96 thru 98. It is a pretty tuff little mill and if it has been well maintained it should still be in good shape. I have seen those 2.5's go close to 200K in Jeeps and when they wear out it is usually somthing beside the chain. It is based on a old proven AMC 232 six with 2 cylinders cut off (it came out in 84) and a few minor bore changes and again it is really pretty sturdy and a bit over built. If you are likely to have any problem with it at all it will be with crank position sensor after that kind of mileage.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Scott

I scan through here from time to time even though I do not post. My ISP's newgroup server was "down" for about 10 days until a little over a week ago so I missed a lot of threads and comments on them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks for the info.