98 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 L 360 4x4 wont run

-------------------------------------

i just got a 1998 dodge ram 5.9 L 360 2500 4+4 and it has run worse and worse now it will barely run great for more than five mins it will idle (sometimes surging) if you give it gas slowly you can get it up to only

2500 rpm any more than that and it will stall. if you shut it down and take the battery cables off it runs great for a while again hot or cold then it does the same thing again i was told the truck sat a while so i dropped the fuel tank drained and wiped out once the truck starts it has 49 psi at fuel rail i checked each injector with a stethoscope ohm and volt meter to haynes manual specs i tested my coil crank tps map and iac sensors with ohm and or volt meters I took the negative wire off the battery while the truck was running and it stalled. I inspected the alternator, it had two missing nuts and a loose wire. I had it tested and it was bad so I replaced it. The truck now does not stall when you take the neg wire off. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor button, plug wires, and plugs. Any ideas on what could be the problem? PCM?

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.dodge.trucks - 40113 messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
joedages

O2 sensors. Had the same problem with a 2WD version. Would start and idle, would buck like crazy and then stall. Sensors looked OK on scan tool but a scope showed them dropping out.

Oh and taking the wires off the alternator with the engine running is a real good way to blow the diodes in it.

Reply to
Steve W.

A clogged catalytic converter may cause the same symptoms.

JAM

Reply to
Frank Galikanokus

True, but the problem wouldn't improve when the OP takes off the battery cables.

Reply to
Steve W.