98 Dodge Ram Running Problem

Thanks To All Who Responded to:

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, about 2 weeks ago my I loaned it out and they ran it out of gas...

Couple things;

  1. This 98 Dodge Ram has NO in-line fuel filter. It's not on top nor under the truck in-line with fuel tank.
  2. If this ever happens to anyone and you can't figure out the problem, disconnect the battery and let it set 5-10 minutes, then re-connect. This resets the Computer inside and completely shuts everything down. I guess there is an IAC motor, don't know what it is or what it does, which apparently has something to do with the fuel pressure system???

Well, I did exactly that, I disconnected the battery and then after 10 minutes reconnected and my truck seems to be running fine. It's the stupidist thing. Anyway, thanks again to all who responded.

Thanks, Gina snipped-for-privacy@duffertech.com

Reply to
Gina Fierro

IAC = Controls the idle speed Your vehicle is now reset back to factory defaults. After it learns what settings to use, your problem may reappear which will be an indication that you do have a faulty sensor somewhere. In a ten year old vehicle, I'd suspect some cruddy connections. O2 sensors need to be swapped out on a regular basis as routine maintennance. Some software only looks for shorted or open sensors and won't give a fault code if the sensor is out of range. Get a manual with the sensor specs and test every sensor.

Reply to
bg

Well the problem is back. Ireset the battery again to buy me a little time as right now I'm tapped out do to building a house. Can you suggest where one might get their hands on a manual with sensor specs?

Reply to
Gina

Did you try REPLACING the battery as initially suggested?

Reply to
TBone

Any auto part store such as checker, autozone, etc., should have it or be able to order one for you. A chilton manual will cost about $25. These manuals are not beginners. There is alot of interpretation involved and you really need to know electicity or electronics.

Reply to
bg