98 Durango --- 318 to a 360

I own a 1998 Dodge Durango with a 318 with almost 200k miles. I really want to put in a 360. Have any of you done this before??? I am trying to find out what snags I am going to encounter doing this. My biggest concern is the fuel supply and computer. I am pretty certain that the

360 will go in place of the 318 pretty easily. If any of you have any info or websites you could help me with, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

plaidfro at hotmail dot com

Reply to
plaidfro

External dimensions are exactly the same. The recipricating assembly, and balance is differant. So you need the short block, balancer, and flex plate to match the 360.

Reply to
.boB

While the engine will fit, there are some differences. The two most important ones are the computer and the fact that the 360 is externally balanced while the 318 is internally balanced. The fuel curves are different for the 360 and the 318 computer may not give you satisfactory performance and I'm not sure about the legal situation of swapping the computer from a different vehicle. As for the balancing, IIRC you will need a torque converter balanced for the 360.

Reply to
TBone

I am betting you will find what you need here.

Trey

Thank you all for your input... I'll have to let you guys know how it ends up. Looks like I will go with the 360 5.9L Long Block, no real need for the performance mods. I just want more power to tow a trailer, especially when travelling uphills.

My 318 has about 200k miles on it and the rear seal is starting to leak so it needs to be pulled anyways, hence the question of upgrading to the

360.

Thanks

Reply to
plaidfro

Hi, I have successfully done this. You have a couple of concerns. The 360 is externally balanced, so the flex plate will have to have to have the bob weight. In the case of a manual gear, you will need to use a 360 flywheel or mill the corresponding volume of iron off the opposite side of the flywheel that the bob weight is on the flexplate. I did this and it just worked. Depending on the year, you may have to drill and tap a 3/8 NPT thread in the top of the inlet manifold to accomodate a thermal sensor. You may use the

5.2 computer with the 5.9, but you will have to change the injectors to the 5.9 flavor. In my instance, I had to change the connectors on the injector harness as they are also different. This is a very gratifying change. You will have lots more low end torque, more high end power and better economy by 2 MPG. Work that out! Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi