98 Durango cruise control problem.

Recently, my 98 Durango with 360, auto, 4x4 started revving up by 200 rpm's instantly when on the interstate or pretty much any other speed as long as the cruise control was on. I first thought the transmission was slipping since when the engine revved up so quickly the forward momentum of the vehicle seemed to stop. Just like when the engine revved up the transmission would instantly go into neutral. This intermittent problem would end as quickly as it happened and then start again. Like every 30 seconds it would happen and then other times it would go for minutes without doing it.. You could just tell by the tachometer and the loss of forward momentun when it happened.. It does not exhibit any problem as long as I manually control the accelerator. So is some sensor going bad somewhere or how can this be fixed? There's around 90k miles on this completely stock Durango if that matters.

Ben in TN

Reply to
Ben in TN

Ben in TN

My guess is the throttle position sensor.

Reply to
Nosey