98 Durango OBD II inop??

Greetings,

I need a bit of advice from the gurus... Delaware changed their inspection requirements to include being able to hook up to the OBD II for emissions information and I just failed my inspection because it got no signal. I took it over to a friend's house and used HIS cable & laptop and got the same thing. No input whatsoever. Unfortunately, the emissions warranty expired 20k miles ago.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a common problem (loose connector in a specific location), etc? Maybe a way to reset it (I've already tried pulling the battery cable) I'm really dreading dropping it at the local Dodge dealer and being at the mercy of their electrician's labor costs.

Any useful input is welcomed! Many thanks!!

Reply to
Chris

That connector's wiring goes straight to the PCM, so if we assume for the moment that the PCM is functioning properly, the only other possibility is a wiring problem. You can do some basic troubleshooting with a DVM (digital volt meter). Looking at the connector under the dash, with the longer side facing up, pin #1 is in the upper-left, #8 in the upper-right, #9 in the lower-left, and #16 in the lower-right.

Check pins 4 and 5 for ground. Check #16 for +12V (when the ignition is on). If you have ground, but no voltage, check for a blown 10A fuse in the fuse panel. Otherwise, check the wiring from the connector - make sure nothing's loose, pinched, shorted, etc.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for the advice. I checked the fuses and all is well. I don't have a multimeter, so checking the wiring is out. Where is the PCM located and is it safe to assume there's a connector going into it as well?

Reply to
Chris

There's three of them, actually - about 35 pins each, located on the passenger-side firewall, engine-side. If it's a physical problem with the wiring, I'd suspect it to be under the dash, close to the OBD-II connector (right where your foot could unknowningly kick it).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks again for the insight, Tom. I checked the one nearest the hook-up (driver side) and it was firm. Sans multimeter, I guess I'll be bringing it to Dodge...

Reply to
Chris