98 RAM 318 Auto trans. Band adj.

Shifting up seems to be getting a little spongy of late.Any special trick to adjusting the bands? It looks pretty straight forward in the book. Any problems anyone else run into? Thanks in advance. Oz

Reply to
oz

Not really... as long as you have a torque wrench (click-type preferable here, as it's pretty tight, and unless you're an ostrich, it's hard to crane your neck up enough to read the wrench). Tighten to 72 in.lbs., back off the indicated number of turns, then tighten the jam nuts. Make sure you hold the adjuster in place while you re-tighten the jam nut - they like to spin with 'em.

While you're at it, I'd take the opportunity and install a drain plug in the pan, to make future fluid/filter changes and adjustments a little less messy.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

And, unless they've changed the adjusting screws, you'll need an 8-point socket to turn them. I believe they're 5/16" square-head screws. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

intermediate (front) band:

loosen lock nut, tighten inner bolt down 'snug' (will need a 5/16 open-end), back off 1-1/2 turns, then tighten lock-nut

TranSurgeon