98 Ram - Seat Belts Locked

98 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.2

I have no MIL codes but my front seat belts, driver and passenger, will not extend.

Problem started happening, random, just after I changed the RWAL sensor in the rear differential.

Any hints as to where to start or what to look for?

Reply to
Sam Alcorn

As I understand it, there are solenoids which, when energized, allow the seat belts to be extended or retracted, and which when they lose power, while lock the seatbelts in their current position. Because the current neccessary to keep those solenoids energized can drain a battery quickly there is also a Seatbelt Control Timing Module (SCTM) located under the middle of the front seat which will de-energize the solenoids after 30 minutes of receiving the last signal that says the seatbelts should not be locked (i.e. a door is opened).

Because it's both seatbelts, I would start by looking for a bad fuse. You might also disconnect the SCTM (disconnect the battery first) and see if that helps.

Reply to
Ed H.