'99 CTD 2500 rattle

This is a long shot, but I thought I would ask...
I have a '99 CTD with 5-speed. When pulling away from a stop, there is a momentary rattle coming from somewhere under the hood (sounds like it is
right behind, or near the firewall on driver's side). The sound is not real loud, but it is noticeable. It sounds as though the engine is torquing over and causing something to hit. It disappears quickly once the truck gets moving.
I have yet to spot any marks where anything is rubbing/hitting, the motor mounts seem to be OK, and I can't get it to make the noise by loading the clutch while the vehicle is stationary.
I've never had a clutch "chatter" on me before, so I don't know if it could be a clutch/pressure plate wearing out, but it doen't make any noise up/down shifting, and doesn't feel as though the clutch is engaging roughly, nor does it sound quite like what I imagine it would.
For some reason, I can't seem to convince anyone to ride under the hood and listen for the noise when pulling away from a stop, so my long-shot question is...
Is the rattle a common/known problem? (Please, no "its a diesel, its supposed to rattle" answers :) )
Thanks.

IIrc there was some issue with the 5 speed. Perhaps Tom L. has the info.

How many miles on it?

How about you bring it by and I drive and you can curl up under the hood? <G>

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 10:00:14 -0500, Roy wrote:

I'm a sporadic reader of the group, so I don't know off-hand who Tom L is, but I hope he chimes in...

130K
At this point I think I'd be willing to. Gotta at least leave the hood open/off for me though...

You're probably thinking of the 5th gear nut problem... where the nut holding the gear to the shaft would back off during heavy lugging of the engine, causing the transmission to lose overdrive.
I have an 04 CTD and there is a noticable rattle when loading the engine below 1000 RPM. This is normal and obviously should be avoided. I have 4.10 axles and a 6 speed, so it is easy for me to do that. I can imagine that with a 5 speed and a taller axle, the rattle would be harder to avoid at start. Steve

Does the rattle you hear sound like internal engine noise, just a bit louder than usual?
I do have taller gears, ever-so-slightly taller than stock tires, and what I hear may be what you are describing, but to my untrained ear, it sounds external to the motor, and more of a tinny rattle almost like a heat shield or something hitting/vibrating.
Thanks.
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 04:57:15 +0100, Steve Lusardi wrote:

tobe wrote:

tobe wrote:

Have you looked the whole truck over or just under the hood? I have a 99 3500 diesel that had a weird rattle at exactly 1200rpm. Anything over or under it would not do it. It sounded like the noise was coming from the engine. I looked all under the hood thinking to find something loose and could find nothing wrong. It wasn't until a week later I climbed under the truck to grease the front and found an exhaust clamp rusted loose and dangling on the pipe right under the cab. I removed the clamp and thus removed my engine rattle.
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:36:49 -0800, Ring wrote:

So far, just under the hood/frontend.
I'll have to expand the search area.