99 dakota speed sensor

The check engine light come on. I went to auto zone and they read the code. They said I need to replace the speed sensor. Just where is this sensor? I've heard it's located on the trans, on the rear differential.
My trans has also started acting up, shift point between first and second doesn't seem right. Does this sensor affect the trans?
Had this happen on my 99 Dakota just three months ago. Also went to Auto Zone. Bought the part for ~$26 and put it on.
It is right on the tranny, facing the ground. If you get under there, you will recognize it in seconds. I changed it in about 3 minutes. It just unplugs and you unscrew the old-- you replace with the new.
When you unscrew, be prepared for some of your tranny fluid to come out...so be ready with the new one fast---you won't lose much.
Also, I would wait until the car cools down b/c you are going to get some on you.

Thanks for the reply. You're right. Can't miss the sensor. Replaced the defected one and the everything is working great.