99 dodge ram 1500 oilpressure loss

oil press. up on start up,then falls after driving for awhile.turn off, then start up, press.up,then drops.

Reply to
TheReg

How high does it go, how far does it drop and did this just suddenly happen?

Does the pressure change between idle and higher RPM's?

Reply to
miles

Just started about 4 days ago. Sometimes it goes up to 80 or 90 PSI, then it will drop to midway on the gauge and then all of a sudden it will drop all the way down. Today it went to about 50 PSI, dropped all the way down

3 times within an hour's driving time, then it comes back up by itself to 50, then when I shut it off and turn it back on it went up halfway, dropped down about 10, stayed that way for about a 45 min drive. I appreciate your interest and any ideas you might have.
Reply to
TheReg

Probably just a bad sending unit. To verify, remove the sensor (on the top of the engine, at the very back - to the right [passenger-side] of the distributor), and hook up a mechanical pressure gauge. Run the engine for a little while, and make sure the pressure remains constant. Vary the throttle, and make sure the pressure varies accordingly.

If that checks out (or you just want to gamble a little and buy a new sending unit right off the bat), put in a new sending unit.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Asking "TheReg" Hey I have the same problem with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. So did the new sending unit fix the problem??? if not how did you fix this problem???

Reply to
Pi7