99 Dodge Ram 1500 power steering

After starting my hubbies truck after about a week of not driving it, I noticed it felt as if the power steering had gone out. I had this problem checked out by the mechanic a few weeks ago, and he said that
he could not find anything wrong with it. Is it possible that the cold weather has an effect on this? It seems to be OK after warming up, but I dont wanna take a chance taking my baby girl in it. Whatcha think?