99 Ram 1500 Front weel bearings

Want to thank all who have helped me in the past! I have another problem though.... I am needing to replace the front wheel bearing on the pasenger side and kind of need to know if this is something that can be done in my garage VS the shop. Thanks!!!! Guy

Reply to
officer

Sure. I'm assuming this is a 4x4, otherwise you wouldn't be asking (as a

2WD uses a pair of servicable roller bearings). With the truck still on the ground, pop off the center cap, remove the cotter pin, then remove the big axle nut and washer. Then raise the wheels (both of them, so you can operate the steering), remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper (two 3/8" allen-head bolts hold it on - don't let the caliper hang by the brake hose - use a bungee cord or some wire and tie it up), then remove the rotor. If you have 4-wheel ABS, you'll have to disconnect the ABS wire from the connector up on the inner fender (gray plastic connector), and un-do the clips that hold the wire all the way down to the hub.

Next, back off the three 14mm 12-point bolts from the back side of the steering knuckle. Back them off about 1/4" or so. Then smack them really hard with a hammer (may want to turn the wheels to get a better angle on them) until they bottom out. If necessary, back them off some more and repeat the process, until the bearing is loose. What you're doing is using them to press the hub/bearing out of the knuckle. The 1/2-tons are notorious for siezing in place, as they have a large tapered piece that fits into the knuckle, and this rusts up. Since you're replacing the bearing, do what you need to do to get it off.

Once the bearing is loose, remove the three bolts all the way, pull the hearing off of the axle, and replace it with the new one. Look on the old one, and wherever you see rust, lightly coat the new one with anti-sieze (give a light coat on the axle splines, as well). Everything else goes back on the way it came off. The three 12-point bolts torque to 125ft.lbs. - the axle nut torques to 175ft.lbs., then if necessary, tightened further until you can insert the cotter pin (use a new one). The caliper slide pins torque to 38ft.lbs. Wheel lug nuts torque to 95ft.lbs.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence