99 Ram 5.9L won't start

My truck won't stay running, it will start for a few seconds but never reachs an idle. It acts like it's not getting fuel. There were no signs of trouble until it just died. What should I check first? Fuel pump, fuel filter, is there anything else I should check?

Reply to
dluns

Gas or diesel engine?

Reply to
Nosey

If it is a diesel, check the injector pump. Just had ours replaced on our 2002 5.9L truck.

Reply to
Granny Grump

A cheap and somewhat easy thing to look for is a vacuum leak.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

It's a gas engine, I was able to get it started by pouring a bit of gas in the throttle body. Then it dies when the fuel is gone. I swapped out the fuel relay, no help. Is there a way to check the fuel pump when cranking the engine?

Don

Reply to
dluns

Dodge fuel pumps are only good for about 150K. You should be able to put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail on the engine. 'Might as well replace the fuel filter while you're at it.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

In responce to dluns 's post. I thought everyone should know:

with a cheap fuel pressure gauge from sears you can check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. there should be a fitting that looks kinda like the top to a valve stem on your tire, on the fuel rail next to the intake (between the intake and valve covers.) connect the fuel pressure gauge and then turn the key on, look at the gauge if you see 49 psi +/- 2 psi according to the 03 service manual, its the same gas engine so i would imagine that number is close. if you do not see fuel adequate pressure after cycling the key on and while cranking then i would suspect something wrong with the fuel pump module or the wiring going to the fuel pump. i have seen dogs and other animals get under a truck and have a field day eating any wire harness they can get a hold of.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Thanks for all the info. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump. $240 later it's going again.

- Don

Reply to
dluns