'99 RAM engines 5.9 ->

Hey yall, I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500. its the 5.9L V8 with 4x4. It has had an engine ticking noise for a while now. I recently took it to the mechanic he told me i needed a new engine and it was that the eigth cylnder was mis-firing and knocking. He told me it was gonna be 5K for a new engine with labor or 3K with labor for a used engine this is including labor/parts and everything. My question is i want to the best possiable engine i can get now that i need a new one. Can i put a hemi from one of the new trucks into mine would it fit? Whats a good website or anyone have any good ideas for getting more power or a new engine built-up or a company that builds up engines. stock the engine 5.9 v8 gets 265 horse im looking to go beyond 300. would supercharging and settling with a new/used engine be the easiest way. or would getting a bulit up modded engine be easier/cheaper.

TIA

Reply to
humm

If you really do need a new engine, I'd look no farther than the Mopar Performance catalog. I'd probably seek a second opinion before doing this though; there are many things that cat cause a tick and very fwe causes require something so elaborate.

If, however, you do chase a replacement engine Mopar makes a line of Magnum engine that come ready to install and with a guarentee. They are are available through numberous outlets (try

and come in a variety of horsepower configurations. The 320 HP version may be an easy swap and require very little in terms of reprogramming or upgrading the computer. You should ask before you buy about this.

My 2 cents

Bob Liberty MO

Reply to
RCSnyder

nothing against the mopar catalong but on a simmular note Jasper engines will do performance builds also. and i belive they still give their 3 year

75,000 mile warr even on the performance stuff. but check their website or give them a call to be sure.

although i have to agree that just a "tick" doesnt nessasaraly mean total replacement. the advice of a second opion may be a good move. did he say what was causing the tick? why does he feel the need for a total replacement?

--

-chris

05 CTD 99 Durango

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

I'd be highly suspicious of someone telling me "yep - I know that sound... ya need a new engine". Sounds like the sound he heard was more of a "cha-ching" than a "tick-tick-tick".

Oh, ok... so your check engine light is on, and the code he retrieved was a P0308, indicating the misfiring cylinder?

It would fit, which is to say it would sit in the engine compartment and allow the hood to close. Motor mounts are different, transmission bellhousing is different, and the computer/electrical... wow - that's an entire sub-project in itself.

Short answer? No.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

According to the April issue of Hot Rod magazine Mopar Performance released a new crate engine. It's a 465 HP, 500 lbs/ft 410 C.I. Magnum 6-Pack, complete with three 2-barrel Holley carbs (P/N P5153527). It's based on a new 340 replacement 4-bolt block. Coming soon is a 500 HP, 536 lbs/ft 440 Super Commando. Wouldn't that bolt up? Getting the computer issues worked out would still be a headache.

Reply to
Nosey

Any engine will fit, that's not the question you should be asking. The question you should be asking is am I ready to spent from $7k to $20k on this truck, because that is what this will cost. As Tom identified, using any engine outside of the same engine family to the original will involve transmission, mounting and cooling issues. In all cases, the computer will have to be discarded and replaced with something else. The rule is, "The greater the change, the greater the cost." Are you really prepared or is this a pipe dream? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi