A bit of Regular mixed with Diesel... Problems?

Hey gang,

What's to be expected if a few gallons of regular gas was mixed in with aproximately 15 gallons of diesel? Any serious problems?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David ~

Depends on the vehicle to tell you the truth. Some older Diesel vehicles fair well with gas in the tank, most newer ones do not due to the computer controls etc. When in doubt just drain the tank and refill with the correct fuel.

Reply to
Big Goof

Some folks run 10% gasoline in the winter, to make it easier to start. I'm not sure beyond that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well it'll be winter here in KC in a few more days. So far I haven't "sensed" any problems and have ran about 50 miles so far. I assume gas and diesel will mix, that it's not like oil & water, so if I haven't noticed any problems yet, I should be ok. BTW... it's an '05.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David ~

I'm gonna be in SO much trouble *grin*

my wife a while back filled our liberty with 87 octane. left it running while she filled it, and yes the fuel light was on so it was really low. and drove it about 1/2 a mile before she realized what she had done. she immediately pulled off and shut it down. then called me, I had to clear the equipment trailer and go get it oh what a joy that was. but anyways, after removing the tank and draining the fuel/gas mix (much more gas than diesel) out of the tank and some fresh diesel the liberty I'm proud to say still runs like a champ and hasn't missed a lick. no notable damage.

just be glad yours was only a few gallons.

and id imagine if the liberty lived though that you have nothing major to worry about.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Diesel has Cetane while gasoline has Octane. Those products are inversive to each other.

Reply to
Trent

Are you planning on intentionally mixing gasoline with diesel fuel for a winter blend? If so, don't do it. Use kerosene or #1 diesel.

From Cummins Service Bulletin # 3379001-10 Fuels For Cummins Engines:

Under no circumstances must gasoline or alcohol be used to dilute diesel fuel. This practice creates an extreme fire hazard and under certain circumstances an explosive hazard. Gasoline dilution is not an effective way to lower cloud point (20 volume-percent gasoline only lowers cloud point 4°C [7°F] and it lowers the fuel viscosity, cetane number, and flash-point). Alcohol dilution will increase the cloud point.

In cold-weather operation, the most common method of preventing fuel waxing problems is to dilute heavier, higher wax content fuels such as U.S. Number

2-D diesel fuel with lighter, lower wax content fuels such as Number 1-D diesel or jet fuel. This reduces the concentration of wax, and thereby reduces both the cloud point and pour point. Blended fuels of this nature are more expensive to use both because they cost more and because they have a lower thermal energy content. A typical blended fuel contains 30 to 60 volume-percent light distillate fuel, usually yielding a 3 to 7°C [5 to 12°F] drop in cloud point, and a 5 to 11°C [9 to 20°F] drop in pour point. Lower wax content fuels must be added BEFORE wax forms to be effective.

Ken

Reply to
Nosey

I'll admit, I have no clue what that means. Perhaps some more detail?

I've got three years of college, and an AAS degree. Chemistry was one of my favorite classes, so I'm interested in what you meant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is no doubt in my mind that they WILL mix. After all, they are both petroleum products.

The problem is that gasoline is far more volatile (I can't remember how to spell that word, it's pronounced vol-LIT-tuhl) than diesel. As such, it will vaporize a lot easier, and will ignite a lot easier. May pre-detonate and damage your cylinders.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nosey

So, what's the answer?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's the question?

Reply to
Nosey

It means adding gasoline to diesel vehicle makes the fuel less combustable under compression.

Diesel is combusted through heat and compression while gasoline is the opposite needing to be in a vapor to get better ignition.

Reply to
Trent

No, I have no intention of mixing fuels... This was a fluke that *should not* be repeated!

Thanks, David

Reply to
David ~

I was *hoping* someone would ask what that meant... :-)

Reply to
David ~

I'll admit, I have no clue what that means. Perhaps some more detail?

I've got three years of college, and an AAS degree. Chemistry was one of my favorite classes, so I'm interested in what you meant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In order to get either fuel to combust, it has to first be vaporized. In a gas engine, it's ignited by spark. And in a diesel, by compression.

But, both fuels have to be vaporized to work. Gasoline is a lot easier vaporized, and so I'd expect problems with early ignition, and who knows what else. Cylinder damage.

I don't believe that "combusted through heat and compression" is the opposite of neeing to be vaporized. Diesel also needs to be vaporized.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There must be a reason why folks panic at the thought of gas in a diesel vehicle. I remember it's got to do with predetonation, cylinder damage, and so on. If it was "less combustible" no one would worry much about it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, not exactly. Octane and Cetane are not truly substances found in gasoline or diesel fuel. Rather, the octane number (ON) or cetane number (CN) are index numbers used to specify the resistance of the fuel to knocking in an engine as it pertains to octane, or the igntion quality of diesel fuel as it pertains to cetane.

The system was derived by ASTM (American Society of Testing and Materials) to qualitatively specify the properties of these fuels

Hope this helps!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

No. Diesel is sprayed into a fine mist combined with air to be compressed. Sorta like wheat or rice in a processing plant. The individual pieces of rice or wheat does not burn very well, but once processing starts and makes a lot of dust combined with air makes a very volatile product. Gasoline is heated into a vapor. That is why in the "good ol days" that gasoline engines did not work well when cold. The gasoline was not being vaporiaed very well.

Reply to
Trent