a/c is blowing warm

I have a 2004 Durango (Hemi). The front air blows at 54 F and this week the rear air started blowing warm. Is there a fuse for the rear cooler? I don't understand how this system works, so my questions
probabaly don't make sense. But why would the front be cold and the back blow warm don't they come from the same compressor?
Please help me out. Thank You

They do share the same compressor but do they have separate expansion valves? I had a 68 Dodge Wagon that did.
Bob AZ
Suddenly, without warning, dirtclod exclaimed (8/28/2009 9:01 PM):

You're probably out of refrigerant. When this happened with my 2001 Dakota, the evaporator needed to be replaced.
You could try buying a can of refrigerant with a gauge and dye, see if you can fill it up, then look for leaks with a UV light - but if the 2004s are like the 2001s, you might not find any 'cause the evaporator is inside the firewall.
The stuff I used is - if I remember right - R134a, but I've no idea if that's standard; check your truck's manual.
Cost me about $1000, mostly labor to get to the durned thing (and put my dash back together after), to replace the evaporator.
jmc

Way too warm.

IOW the same as the front?

Well, because it isn't working is my guess...

54 is not cold. Not satisfactory performance from an automotive AC system

They should be about the same, but usually rear HVAC units always recirculate so they often are cooler (or warmer when heating) than front ones.

It's broken. Most likely needs recharging. Go to a HVAC shop.

First off, I thought 54F was about right since I am in Central TEXAS where it is 105F outside. Second, the rear air is much warmer than the front. Probably 20 degrees warmer. Third, I wasn't asking you to guess. And lastly, I know it's broken, I was looking for some helpful advice to understand the system, not a smart-ass reply.
Thank you to the other people that replied. PeterD is obviously over- compensating for something.

Oh, I missed that in your question.

And I disagreed with you? Don't remember doing that.

Bring it over and I'll do proper diagnostics. Online a guess is as good as it gets.

OK, ignore my smart-ass replies then. I'm sure someone will come up with a non-smart-ass reply.

Thank you too. Even if you didn't like my advice.

The lack of sense to not reply to your post. Won't happen again, good luck hope you get it fixed.
Now, re-read my original reply, take it to a qualified A/C shop and get the charge checked. Or, just piss-off, I don't care.
I see you have met the CBers. They are now on the net. Lucky us...

What does this mean ? I don't understand.
The ones that don't know the answer but spouts some crap off message. The old Citizen Band radio had a lot of those people. They don't amount to much but clutter the newsgroup and back then the airwaves.
wrote:

What does this mean ? I don't understand.

Got your ears on?
You're right George, he had no idea what he was talking about. It had nothing to do with the refrigerant charge. The blend door was broken and burned up the motor. It's fixed now. No thanks to the lame advice from PeterD. If you don't know what your talking about, keep your mouth shut and you might learn something. That is why you have two ears and only one mouth.

Ah, yes, that lame advice. Feel free to <plonk> me anytime, after all I deserve it.
dirtclod wrote:

Did you take it to a qualified tech? If you did, then you followed PeterD's advice, which wasn't bad by the way. As a matter of fact he was the only one who told you to take it to a qualified tech. How come people have to ask a question and then start a pissing match with someone who gives a GOOD answer?