A/C Leaking Onto Passenger Floor

I have a 96 1500.

I've pulled away the carpet and rubber padding that goes up behind the dash. Right where the AC tray collection area goes throught the firewall, there is a little trickle of water flowing down.

I imagine that I can get some silicone and seal it up and it will stop?

A little water is still coming out the drain tube on the engine side of the firewall.

There is also cold air coming out the tube as well.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Dan Sanders

The drain tube is clogged that runs out through the fire wall.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

What I found on mine was the seal between the firewall and the "A/C box" had fallen apart allowing condensation to trickle back in along the drain tube.

I loosened the box mounts(under hood) then put a wedge inside to pull it away from the fire wall. I then cleaned the factory seal off and built up a bead of RTV around the tube. removed the wedge and tightened the mounts. I then took a 3/4 in hose and attached it to the tube and plumed it down along the frame. let the RTV cure overnight and the leak was gone. about $5 and 3 hours in the garage.

Reply to
krenelka

I think that's what I will have to do too. I was able to pull away the carpet and rubber matt and could see where the water was trickling down.

I'm going to have to figure out how to loosen the thing so I can clean it and get some sort of sealant in there.

Thanks for the insight.

I was talking to my brother who had spoken to his buddy who's a mechanic and said that something that would work would be 3M's 'windo-weld'. I think it's used to set and seal windows. Comes in rope like package.

Reply to
Dan Sanders

As has been posted, probably a clogged drain tube. However, if un-clogging the drain tube does not remedy the problem, re-examine the fluid inside the cab. Is it water (condensation) or is it radiator fluid (water/anti-freeze). If radiator fluid, you may have a bad heater core.

Craig C.

Reply to
mcraigchr

Thanks for everyones responses.

The main culprit here was a foam like gasket that had rotted away. This gasket was between the bottom of the ac, where the water collects and then goes throught the firewall with a tube, and the firewall.

The tube was too short, (story of my life...) and the water would run out to the end of the tube and some of it would drip down as intended, but most would come back on the outside bottom of the tube and through the gasket into the cab and onto the floor.

The thing that fixed it was putting a two to two and a half foot section of

5/8" rubber heater hose on the tube with a hose clamp and then run it down near the swing arm.

I also put some 3M window weld around and between the ac and the firewall where it goes through, just for good measure. Although I don't think there's much chance of water getting back in there anymore.

This had been going on for about three years now..... I had one of those Homer Simpson "Doh!" moments after realizing how simple a fix this was...

Hope this helps somebody out there!

Reply to
Dan Sanders