A/C leaking water in cabin

I thought I share here that my A/C - specifically the evaporator - was leaking water into the cabin. As a result my floor carpet on the passenger side was soaking wet and developed a mildew odor smell.

There is the small pipe that is supposed to direct the condensate water out by going through the firewall. The pipe is horizontal. The water itself is not truly dripping down from the end of the pipe but rather running back on the underside of the pipe towards the firewall and then down on the outside of the firewall. The hole that is in the firewall is probably twice the outside diameter of the pipe and sealed from the inside with a foam like material. I guess after 10 years the foam got somewhat brittle so that the water made it back into the cabin. Fixing the issue was easy: I slid a 5/8" hose over the pipe end, secured it with a clamp and directed the hose down (actually secured it with a cable tie to the splash guard so that it does not constantly just drip on the lower control arm). Cost for parts: $3. Needless to mention that I took the whole floor carpet out and laid it in the sun for 3 days to completely dry out, especially the underside padding material. Taking it out took a little more than one hour, putting it back in about 2 hours.

Axel

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.9l 2WD 135,000 miles.
Reply to
axel