A/C question: r12 vs. r134a connectors

My Haynes Dodge Dakota Pick-Ups 1987 thru 1996 states: "CAUTION: There are two types of refrigerant, R-12, used on vehicles up to 1992..." Then is goes
on to say "Use only R134A refrigerant on models covered by this book". But the book starts with 1987 models.
I'm confused - how do I tell if my 1989 V-6 Dakota uses the old or the new refrigerant? I just purchased an R-134A conversion kit, which has snap-on type adapters, whereas the original are screw-on. Can I tell from that?
Thanks.
external threads on the service connectors indicates R-12
'snap-on' type is R-134a

goes
Your vehicle should be currently using R-12. There should be a sticker under the hood somewhere stating what type of refrigerant and how much of it your system uses although it is probably hidden under a layer of oil and dirt. Your screw on Schrader valves are a pretty good indication that you are using R-12. I don't think that R134A even existed when your car was built.

"Karl" < snipped-for-privacy@none.com> wrote in message
"TBone" wrote:

Well it existed and was under refinement but it was not deployed yet in automotive uses it started to show up in a few cars in 92 and was every where by 94.
134A started being used in 91 and was fully implemented in the US by 1995. Depending on the manufacturer you could have either one even in the same model line. One I can tell you about is the GM S series. The 94 S - Pickups were R-134A, BUT the S - Blazers were still R-12.
--
Steve W

"SnoMan" < snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
"Steve W." wrote:

Toyota used R134 in 92 while my 91 was R12 and my friend has a 94 chevy van that was R134 from day one. Also when I had my compressor replaced under extended warranty on my burb in 93 they put back R12 BUT if I had had it replaced in 94 under warranty, they would have converted it to a R134 system with a differenent compressor and larger condensor too.
Should be R-12 unless it has been converted. Threads or snap on connectors are the tip off!

OK, thanks a lot for the replies. You confirmed my suspicions.