A question I am sure has already been answered

Any diagnosis would be great...
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 S/B. 5.9L, Automatic, 103,000 miles. My question is: yesterday the truck would not shift into D or OD without
backing off the throttle while in OD on my way to work. On my way home that night, it would not shift AT ALL out of first gear. I put the transmission in 2nd, and got a 1 to 2 shift. Limped home in second gear at 35 miles an hour and am back into the driver's seat of my 91 Honda Civic. I literally JUST bought this truck, so I do not know how the prior maintenance was done in regards to filters and fluid change. The truck is immaculate with many extras, so I think it was serviced well.
I'd appreciate the Ram bashers overlooking this thread. I love the truck and realize that every make and model of truck has it's downfalls.
Thanks in advance!
You'll need to pull the codes to get a start on this problem. A 99 will need a code reader or scan tool of some sort. If you JUST bought it, my suggestion would be to check with the dealer. If a private sale, I'd ask the previous owner to give any info he could, or at least help with the repairs in some way.
Once you pull the codes, disconnect the battery and allow time for the PCM to drop voltage. Reconnect the battery and drive the truck, and check for codes again. This should point directly at your problem if its electronic. If you cannot confirm that a code is set or repeats, but the truck still malfunctions, pull the pan and look for debris. You don't say if it slips while in gear, but if its hydraulic/mechanical, it could be either the rear clutch in the main trans or the direct clutch in the OD section. Depending on previous use and maintenance, 103k might be the rebuild point on this trans.
--
Max

Thanks Max,
It is back at the dealer right now. I THINK they are going to take care of the repairs. BTW, there is no slippage that I can detect. One question...would the direct clutch in the OD cause the no 1-2-3 shifting? Pardon my ignorance of AT's, but I know NOTHING about them.
If the direct clutch in the OD were slipping, it might cause a conflict in the comparison between input RPM and output RPM, thus confusing the PCM and causing erratic or no shift.
--
Max

no, because the direct clutch is backed up by a sprag clutch in forward gears

==========> Gary Glaenzer wrote:

==============yeah.....what he said.
diddo
~:~ MarshMonster ~pours Gary a crown'n'coke~ ~:~