A question to settle a discussion

Ok, folks, a friend and I were discussing the first generation Chrysler electronic ignition. He says you can use one as a transistor ignition module
by connecting a set of points to pin # 4. I disagree.
There's a 12 pack of Pepsi One riding on who is right.
Thanks, folks!
Budd
Budd
I swaped my 72 Dodge 318 to a transistor by doing this. Took a module from a 73 318 van. Not sure about the pin numbers though. Also had to add a different resistor block. Made it a different PU in a hurry. Better low end torque and it cleaned out the carbon etc in about a week. Bob AZ
Personally, I think it was one of the best systems ever made and should have been adapted to Chrysler computerized cars just to give a less expensive ignition repair. Crank trigger input to a computer run timing program then to the ECU and then output to run the coil.
The computer would be cheaper to replace since it could use a smaller trigger transistor.
Budd
Ace wrote:

If you connect a set of points to pin 4 then you have effectively bypassed the electronic ignition and turned it back into a standard point type ignition since pin 4 is what the big transistor actually controls, so you are correct Budd.

TBone wrote:

How can that be when pin # 4 is one of the pins to the control side of the transistor and not directly to a coil connection? The transistor would act like a backwards diode. Pin # 5 is a redundant ground to the distributor pickup, so no point connection there would work.
You're not making sense, Tom.
Budd

My mistake. I forgot about the screwed up pin out numbering of that ECU and my manual does not number them and it was late and I just counted around the connector. As for pin 4, it needs a voltage to be applied and removed there to trigger the ECU and a set of points directly connected to ground (as most are) would not supply that and therefore have no effect.

beekeep
At least my "friends" won't sting me in a heartbeat. VBG
Budd
beekeep wrote:

That's just my girls kissing me.
beekeep