A Testimonial to a 318

My 92 318 Dakota was approaching 220K miles and oil consumption was becoming a major problem. In fact, it was smoking and spark knocking so bad that I was ashamed to drive it. I bought a 2002 RT
360 and parked the 318.
The kids in the auto mechanics class at the local high school were looking for somthing to "repair". I told them they could put valve stem seals in my Dakota. They did it. I changed oil/filter as soon as they were finished and started driving it again.
To my amazement the truck has not used a drop of oil, since. It's been roughly 2000 miles, the truck just turned 220,000 miles and zero oil consumption, so far.
To me, this is almost beyond belief. The truck has used oil for years and it was 100% valve stem useage, the whole time.
"Leroy"

Maybe. More likely a combination of valve stem seals and leaky intake gasket sucking oil from the valley area.

Then why did consumption stop, completely, when the valve stem seals were replaced. The intake gasket was not touched.
"Leroy"

that clears that up. I was thinking they would pull the heads to do the seals and the valves while they were at it. That's what I get for assuming.

Nope! :) Just the seals, by the old "air pressure" method.
Before they started I had given up on the engine, and assumed (yep .. I do it too) that it needed a complete overhaul. But as soon as it had run a few miles to burn the oil off the plugs and out of the cylinders it cleaned up and now runs great. In fact, it runs the best it has run in several years.
One reason I am so totally surprised is because during the final ~100,000 I had not taken very good care of it. Changed oil & filter every ~10k or ~15K until it finally became a "self changer". Then never changed either. Would just dump in a quart or 2 of whatever was the cheapest, and ride. :)
The rings and Cyl walls must really be tough in the 318.
"Leroy"

The 318 valve stem seals seem to wear out regularly and the oil consumption goes up. Valve stem seals, the Carter BBD, and ballast resistor were the only problems I had with the 318 in my '77 B200 van. (Too frequent use of Heet kept eating up the seals in the BBD.)
Currently rebuilding a 318-3 from a '69 Dodge M300 motorhome chassis ... brand-new heads with top quality aftermarket valve seals.
Leroy, my 360 has been using quite a bit of oil just as you have described.....being a "self changer" as well. I had already been thinking the valve stem seals may very well be the cause and have just been waiting for some time to have them replaced. I've already doen the plenum plate replacement and that help initially but the consumption has gone back up as well as the pressue seems to have dropped. I'm sure I'll be needing a complete overhaul eventually ut for the time being, I think valve stem seals will do the trick just like it did on yours.
Laszlo Almasi

That makes me feel good about my '95 318 with 175,000. Still runs great with no smoke or oil usage between changes.
Ed