About 2008 Dodge Avenger SE

Page 2 of 4

Wasn't there some sort of deal that a car had to have two seats only and so many horsepower per pound?. Or maybe cubic inches of displacement per pound to qualify as a sports car..

I would love to be able to get my hands on a Porsche 911 Cararra tt!

Maybe back in the late 60's and early 70's that was the case. You take the EVO and it has as much or more power then some V-8 that are coming out today, and pound for pound they are lighter. A true EVO comes with a lot of carbon fiber and light weight panles already on it.

If an EVO is a sports car, then what's a Neon SRT4 or even an Omni GLHS?
in

I would class the SRT4 in the same category as the EVO and the WRX, can't comment on the Omni, don't know anything about it.
Again though, a car can be a "sports car" with 4 doors and FWD, but hey, you are free to feel/think as you like, just as I and anyone else is. This is prob as bad a subject to discuss as politics and religion.
azwiley1 wrote:

Interesting observation, Larry. I imagine all subjects that are left up to each one of us to define for ourselves has a good chance of ending up being fought about at one point or another.
Craig C.

Yup.
I see a sports car as something that was made to go FAST and handle very well, regardless of doors and drive train configuration.
azwiley1 wrote:

Me too. For some reason, I just can't put any Japanese car in that category. I suppose that the Honda S2000 has just as much right to be considered a sports car as a Mini Cooper S.
Must be that bombing incident 65 years ago. :-)
Craig C.

The S2000 is way more of a sports car than the Mini. And that's even by Larry's posted definitions..
Joe wrote:

I think these folks might disagree with you:
http://www.mini7.co.uk /
Those races are a riot to watch.
Craig C.

Once again, those are not MY definitions. I cited the sources for both and sorry to say neither are referenced as Larry's. Sorry Joe, follow along please. :)

Speaking of sports cars, I just saw this and thought it was rather fitting for this thread.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/ap_on_re_us/crushed_hot_rods

No problem. I'd just love to hear the DB9 owner's response to the Mini owner who says his Mini is a sports car.

Larry, ya gotta make up yer mind. Is it what you said above, or is it the definition from your other post??

No I don't have to make up my mind. A statement was made about there not being a specific definition of "sports cars" so I provided two different ones. No where did I ever indicate that they were MY definitions.

LOL! O-kay.

I don't see how anybody can call a car that weighs in excess of 4,000 friggin' pounds a sport car. You folks telling me that my Charger SRT is a damn sports car????

That thing's a muscle car, and a damn good one at that.
Roy wrote:

Bob

Okay! <VBG> The Z06 was a 6speed and after a few trips spending time in stop and go traffic for a hour it was getting old. Now with the automatic in the Charger I have the option of doing it myself or letting the trans do it's thing.
Now that I think about it, one trip to FL I never used cruise control until SC. Shifting constantly for about 18 hours. It sucked.
Roy

azwiley1 wrote:

Well I don't know if I'd call it a sports car or not but I bought a brand new 93 Ford Probe 2 dr with a 5 speed manual back in 93. That car drove and handled very well. I remember taking 90 degree turns in that car at over 50mph and not once did the tires lose traction. I took it out on our police driving track and it handled better than the squad car I drove every day. I called it my "go kart on steroids." To me it was so fun to drive mainly because of the 5 speed manual. I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun with an auto. And I still feel that way today with any similar car I drive. I wouldn't even look at the new Avenger now since a manual isn't available. Too bad for me and Dodge too since other people that feel like I do won't buy one.
Bob