About 2008 Dodge Avenger SE

Page 3 of 4

I don't know that there's a specific definition, but it's probably easier to figure out what isn't a sports car.
in

Actually there is, here you go right from the American Heritage Dictionary online.
sports car (n.) An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.
Another From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

I don't know that either of those qualify as a specific definition, but both definitions pretty much preclude some of the cars already considered in this thread.

What FWD is considered a sports car? BTW, I'll agree 100% with you on the DB9. The Vantage and Vanquish are no slouches either.
Joe wrote:

Well, a hand full come to mind that are AWD, but only one that I can think of that I personally would consider a "sports car" that is FWD. That's the Mini Cooper S. Not so much for the power (although it's no slouch), but the maneuverability. I took a test drive with the sales guy and I'll never forget it. He took a 90 degree turn going 70 mph. The only skid marks were the ones in my underwear. It was amazing.

Yeah ... I wouldn't refuse one if it was given to me. :-)
Craig C.

Yeah, they are cool. But no way can it be called a sports car...

Craig C. wrote:

I don't consider a FWD a sports car as they just do not handle high torque as well as a RWD in steering. But I don't get bent out of shape of who calls what a sports car. Everyone has their own opinions.

Then what's your definition of a sports car? The EVO and STi are known as "compact sport sedans".

WTF are you talking about? "Back in the day" as you say (I certainly didn't) there were a lot more sports cars than the Corvette. Dude, you might want to have a few cups of that stuff yourself.

They're not. If you'd have read, you would've seen that I said the marketing ploys pertained to weeniemobiles. The EVO and STi are the real deal. The Lancer mentioned earlier in the commercial is the marketing ploy.

Exactly.
azwiley1 wrote:

Because FWD cars are well known to have torque steer issues when high output engines are used. They just don't compete with RWD sports cars with everything else being equal.

Although, gotta admit - AWD is pretty cool.
Joe wrote:

Thats true. AWD in some sports cars works well. Hmm...is my AWD Hemi Durango a sports car?

Dunno - is it a stick? ;)

As do some rwd cars with a bunch of hp.
Roy wrote:

Thats true but the problems of a bunch of HP and Torque are easier to solve in a RWD car.

Same thing applies to a FWD miles. The right people with the right knowledge and abilities can correct a lot of the issues inherant to them. Problem I see here is that there are to damn many closed minded and biased old bastards that still think we should be driving hot rodded lead sleds! <bg>
azwiley1 wrote:

As long as they have heated seats!!
Bob

Ok, this is a performace inhibitor, at least in some cases, but it does not address the question as to why it can not be called a sports cars. There are performace inhibitors with RWDs also but you didn't mention any of them, why?

Start talking to a DB9 owner (or even a Carrera owner) about "FWD sports cars" and note the reaction.
azwiley1 wrote:

Because overall a RWD performance car will out handle and out perform a FWD all other things being equal. Currently there just isn't a way to make a FWD high powered performance car work. The only FWD performance cars I know of are all low end (SRT4 etc.) cars where people aren't very picky.
azwiley1 wrote:

Since the Lancer is built on the same platform as the Caliber is the EVO similar to the Caliber SRT4 which Dodge keeps delaying its rollout?
I suppose the SRT4 might be classified as a sports car as it does have a 300hp engine. But to me its a low end affordable fast car for those that can't afford a real sports car! It's front wheel drive so I wonder how they've dealt with torque steer issues.