ABS & Brake warning lights

My '97 Dakota has the ABS & Brake warning lights on in the dash. The brakes are still working with no apparent difference. Would it be safe to still
drive this truck until I can get it in to be scanned, probably a couple of days? I did the checks as indicated in my Haynes manual (parking brake not on, fuses OK, no apparent problems with wiring under the hood or at the rear-end speed sensor) and found nothing.
Thanks,
Ken

I'd push very hard on the brake pedal when vehicle is running PARKED , then look for a puddle of fluid under the truck. Did you check the brake fluid level? Those WARNING lights usually mean the vehicle has a problem. How would you feel if something tragic happened?
Actually, those lights on together mean that there is something wrong with the anti-lock system which may or may not be major. In most cases, it indicates that the speed sensor in the rear axle has failed but that is not always the case. Either way, at worst it indicates that your anti-lock system is no longer functional and if you have just the rear anti-lock brakes, I don't see it as any real loss at all. It is unlikely that the anti-brake light would illuminate due to a fluid leak.
< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.epix.net...

I think I'm just going to go ahead and change the sensor. For the cost it will likely be the most time effective thing to do.
Thanks for the reply.
Ken

well well , fords are a bit different w/the warning lights then , guess you know who is the ass this time when i a$$ume d. my bad the op did look anyway ( for leakage ) which would make me feel alot better about using my truck w/the warnings lit.

After I checked for leaks and appreciable change in the fluid level (none) and taking it for a drive and applying the brakes hard several times I felt pretty confident that it would be safe. But before I let my daughter drive it to school (4.5 miles) I figured that I may as well avail myself of the knowledge and kindness of this group. There are several here that consistently give good advice (TBone being one of them). I do appreciate your concern and tendency to go to a safety first position.
Ken

Fluid level is fine. There are no leaks.
Ken