accident report

Page 9 of 10

If their sun visors are of no help, yes, they must stop and pull over. Pretty much common sense.
--
Max

ok... what part of the country are you in? so i know not to go there.

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 01:16:31 GMT, "Christopher Thompson"

now i don't care who you are, that was funny.

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:19:09 -0700, "Nathan W. Collier"

the rule of law is interesting. philosphically, police do not determine who is at fault at an accident scene. police are authorized to issue tickets for driving infractions that they did not see if they are investigating an accident. many states however require that those violations be "related" to the accident, but not all.
so, in theory, the police could respond to the accident, issue several cites for violations to driver a, but the insurance companies could later decide that driver b was at fault. not likely, but that can happen and sometimes does.
realistically, it does help to have the police issue citations for infractions that led to the accident. it helps your cause should there be a later dispute with the insurance companies and helps your case years later if applying for new insurance to show that it was not your fault. why don't police cite? two main reasons, one they feel sorry for the drivers due to the injuries and/or damage already present and two, laziness. personally, i would want cites issued. i mean, how can police justify issuing you a ticket for something that didn't cause an accident but could have, when they don't issue a citation for the same violation that did cause an accident????

heh.........good point.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

When I got rear ended in my 3500 a few months ago, the cop didn't write the other guy a ticket either. The cop explained that since there was more than $500 damage (Totaled the other guys Taurus, bent my rear bumper to the tune of $1800), he had to write an accident report in which he fixed the blame on the other driver which satisfied the insurance company requirement.
He didn't write a ticket even though the other guy was following too closely. His reasoning was that "since the insurance company will take care of it, the judge will dismiss the case. In the end, it will end up costing both of you a day off of work to sit in court for a dismissed ticket."
I wouldn't have minded so much if the guy hadn't been whining about the fact that it would be his second ticket in twelve days!
Greg
Nate, I'm truly glad that none of your family is injured. Scared the shit out of them--probably, but not hurt.
The truck is metal and can be fixed. The important thing here is that thirty years from now, are you gonna be mad that you lost a couple of thousand on the truck or that your family didn't get hurt??
Don't want to piss ya off, but I tend to put things into perspective.
Denny

certainly.....but i do not believe that the pillar in question can ever be fixed as good as it was before i got hit.

i can be both thankful my family is ok, and angry that this asswipe put them all in danger and in that process smacked my truck.

oh no, not pissed off at you at all.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

See, but here's the deal. The family DIDN'T get hurt - so that's out of the equation. Now, it's just as if someone rammed his truck in a parking lot (hey, wait.... that DID happen :). His truck is messed up, it's someone else's fault, and he has every right to be pissed. This notion that, "well, as long as no one got hurt" is bullshit. Obviously, if he had a choice: let my family get hurt, or destroy the truck, it's not even a question. That isn't the case. The two here aren't mutually exclusive.
I can understand exactly where he's coming from. It's different if they were driving home, and a wind storm blew a tree over that hit the truck. That's when you say, "well, metal can be fixed - as long as you're all OK". That's an accident. It falls under the "shit happens" clause. The damage to his truck is a DIRECT result of someone else's negligence. Plain and simple. Yes - Nate's fortunate that his family wasn't hurt.... the moron driving the other truck is even MORE fortunate. But, like I said, that's a closed issue. Now it's about fixing the damage, and fixing it in such a way that it doesn't hurt him financially down the road.

right to-back to like it was new cause it is a new truck. I just wouldn't want to get a lawyer involved in it since the cost of one would probably be more than the money I'd loose on the truck when I sold it.
Denny

Yeah, go ahead and blame T-Bone, everybody else does in here.
beekeep
LOL, sad but true.
"beekeep" < snipped-for-privacy@radix.net> wrote in message
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear everyone is OK.

Unfortunately theres no real way to determine how much value (if any) is lost unless you have 2 identical vehicles with the same equipment and mileage in the same area that resell for different prices after the same amount of time on the market. On a properly repaired vehicle, the diminution of value is not usually very much at all. On a collectors car, it can be great, and those vehicles usually pay extra for a different kind of insurance coverage. Here's a recent case concerning diminution of value. Different states look at this differently, but recently the Indiana Supreme court says it's not covered in Indiana; http://www.namic.org/advocatenews/051107sa10.asp
There's also a website that looks at several states and how they stand on diminished value claims; http://www.zalma.com/diminution.htm

I worked in the claims department for 5 years for a major insurance company (just the property damage area, not medical). We used the police report only to gather factual information, like drivers names, VIN data, distance from intersections, passenger names, etc. If the police officer witnessed the accident, we would take his statement under consideration along with other witness statements to help us determine fault. Most police officers will not write a summons unless they witnessed or can prove that a law was violated. If they didn't see the accident, it's always a "he said, she said" scenario, so they are unwilling to write a ticket/summons unless the violation is obvious (tires with no tread, no inspection sticker, no proof of insurance, etc). It could have been that the other vehicle was inching out into the highway trying to see around parked trucks when the collision occurred, the police officer won't know that. Fault will be determined by the insurance agents based on witness statements and impact location and damage, plus types of roads or driveways, etc. Most states now require the vehicles to be moved out of the traffic lanes before the police even get there these days, unless an injury or fatality ids involved, so the police might not even see what the position of the vehicles was.

Your rights are to have the vehicle repaired to the condition it was in prior to the accident. There are variations in different states about whether or not aftermarket parts can be used, but your insurance company will probably send you information about that once you file your claim. The vehicle will be repaired (not replaced) unless they determine the repairs might exceed the vehicles value (total loss). Based on the value you mentioned for the truck, and the relatively small amount of damage (it always seems worse to the owner) there's no doubt that the vehicle is repairable.

It never hurts to get a free consultation, but keep in mind that if the attorney is able to get an extra payment for diminution of value, the extra payment you get might be less than what the lawyer collects from you. Ask your agent about diminution of value, they should be able to fill you in. I'd recommend letting your own company handle your claim, and through a preferred repair facility if your happy with that facility. Preferred facilities usually offer some extra benefits like no delays for estimates, lifetime guarantees on the repairs/paint job, and sometimes lower deductibles if you have to pay a deductible. Many states allow your company to waive your deductible if it's obvious the other person is at fault and they have insurance (sometimes a police report needs to be written). That would mean that YOUR company will take care of you and do everything (within the limits of your coverage) to get reimbursement from the other company. It has to be obvious that the other person was more at fault than your wife, though. They have to consider what the other driver did to avoid the accident, and also what your wife could have done to avoid the accident. If you do decide to use an attorney, your insurance company might not be able to help you with the claim because that action could affect their ability to collect damages on your behalf. Make sure you read your policy before you make that decision, it gives all the warnings and potential exclusions in there. You really need to contact your agent to go over your coverage and what the rules of your particular state are, since all states differ in how they determine negligence and payments.
Good Luck!
John

where would you begin to estimate? seriously....if you were in the market and found two identical trucks in the same price range, one with a damage history and the other without any damage history, which one are you going to buy?
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

take the undamaged one, no question about it. But the real question is if there was only 1 truck available, and it was properly repaired, how much less would I pay than if it wasn't ever in an accident? I don't know. I might pay the same if it had the equipment I wanted and it was at a price I considered reasonable because there isn't a second truck to compare it to. The used truck market is too fluid to say what the value of one particular truck is worth from one day to the next. Depends on the market at the day of sale.
John
to make things even more interesting, we learned today that the other driver has the same insurance company. different broker, but same national company. this solidifies my need to get an attorney. if insurance company A were fighting for my best interests against insurance company B i would be more apt to trust them. since they would be fighting themselves in this case, i know whos best interest is important to my insurance company and its not mine......its their own.
so........does anybody have any advice on how to handle the issue when you have the same insurance company? thanks,
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
"Nathan W. Collier" < snipped-for-privacy@Email.com> wrote in message

Yup, get a lawyer.
--
Max

And lots of liniment :)
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

insured interests under your "first party" coverage, and your company will cover the loss under the other drivers "third party" coverage. That means that any potential gaps in coverage would be covered by the other policy. They'll be quicker to take care of your repairs, and if you don't have rental car coverage under your policy, you'll get it automatically under the other drivers "liability" coverage as long as he's at fault. No protracted arguments between companies haggling over whether they'll pay your claims or not. Keep in mind that if they were different companies, your company would not necessarily be fighting for "your best interests". They are only allowed to subrogate for actual payments they made to you under the coverage that your policy contract calls for. They can't subrogate for extra money that they didn't pay for, and if your policy doesn't cover loss of value (very few do) then they can't try to get that from the other company because they won't pay you for coverage you don't have.
You keep talking about needing an attorney; you really should check to see what coverage you get under your policies before you waste your money on an attorney. I always felt sorry for those people that got an attorney to get coverage for their property damage. We ended up paying the same as the original estimate, but then they had to take a large chunk out of that and give it to their attorney, so they ended up paying the difference out of their own pocket.
John