accident report

Page 10 of 10
In NC (Raleigh anyway) they don't write citation's either unless there is some sort of personal injury. They will write up a report and indicate who appeared to be at fault however.

--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

I used to do insurance..... if the idiot was coming off a private lot, onto a public street, you should have him by the short hairs
hold his insurance company's feet to the fire
markansas859 wrote:

True. And as a 21 year police veteran in Texas, the guy was at fault. I know the accident didn't occur in Texas. But here a driver is required to come to a complete stop when exiting a private drive (includes parking lots). Then pull out onto the street only when safe to do so. It sounds as if the moron never stopped. As for the ticket issue. Here in Texas we don't issue traffic tickets either if an officer does not witness the accident or violation. Now if there is an injury or death then that's a different story. An officer will write tickets or make an arrest in those cases. An officer also does not find fault in an accident. Although there is a space on the accident report for "officer's opinion" as to who caused the accident. In Texas an accident is considered a civil matter and therefore your insurance companies "work it out" between themselves. They have their own investigators to do this. The police only are there to gather facts and to deal with the traffic nightmares that usually occur with an accident. On a side note the worst thing I have ever heard as an officer is while working an accident on a major highway. The squeeling of brakes will make you run and jump for cover and will make a certain part of your anatomy pucker up. People just do not pay attention to what they are doing.
Bob
Bob M wrote:

An officer in Universal City, TX lost her legs about 2 years ago when a car rear-ended her patrol car at a stop, and an officer trying to catch speeders and DWI drivers in San Antonio got rear ended by a DWI driver and lost his life last month. (His wife was the dispatcher on duty when the call came in) http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid 907 It happens too often. OK finally passed a law this year that requires drivers to move over to another lane when passing a police car stopped on the shoulder. Hope that helps, but unfortunately there will always be bad drivers and drunk drivers out there.
John
(top post to avoid snipping)
Nate.. My neighbor just went through something like this on her daughters car... it was rear ended and pushed up into another car.. (ouch)
Body work and all came out fine, but she was worried about resale... Her insurance company told her to get 2 "experts" to estimate the amount of resale value lost due to record of it being bent... She got one from a local dealer regarding resale, I got one from a friend that runs a used car lot... they were both pretty close, in this case about $3,000, and the insurance company agreed to compensate her that amount without a hassle.. Glad that the family is ok... I know that's your main priority...
Hope this helps a little..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
You had no problems taking a $5,000 or more hit in interest for the bank. Why do care if you lose more money because of some guy? You need to read the book Total Money Makeover, or check out www.daveramesy.com (Pay cash or don't buy.)

one was due to my choice, the other due to someone else's negligence.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com