Adding Heated Seats

Not sure if this is possible, but I would like to add heated seats to my truck. It's a 2006 Power Wagon, but it's pretty much an SLT interior with
cloth seats. They didn't order the heated seats and I am not sure whether that was because they were cloth seats or they just felt like not ordering them. I've seen numerous 3rd party solutions, and may go with one of them, but want to explore factory OEM options first.
Questions: Do the seats already have the heater installed and wiring in place and is it just a matter of obtaining the dash switch? (Reason I asked that is because I am adding UConnect and found out that all the wiring is already in place. Just need to obtain the units (mirror and unit behind the glove box). I kind of thought it may be the same issue with the seats but not sure.)
If not, then would I need to just purchase the heat pad from Dodge or go after market?
Would the after market pads work with the factory switches (factory switches just fit in the opening in the dash)?
Or am I wasting my time?
TIA...
Ace
Hey Mike this one is right up your alley!

You will have to check your truck for sure, but I doubt that the wiring is already in place.

To go OEM at this point would be prohibitively expensive IMHO inless money is no object. The Katzskins aftermarket heated covers are very nice and MUCH less pricey. I don't know if the heaters are sold separately or not, check with an vendor.

You can easily use the swicthes for an OEM look.

No, heated seats are NEVER a waste of time.... contrary to the opinion of "others" in this group.
;^)
Mike

In

Mike,
Thanks for the detailed response. I couldn't find any direct links for places selling katzskins, but found many references mentioning them as a great option.
After looking around a bit last night, I found a few places on heated seats, but the one that stands out seems to be www.heatedseatkits.com, and www.heatmyseats.com. I found specifically: Dual Seat Deluxe Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/dualseatdelc.html .
They advertise an OEM version and a non-OEM. I guess what they mean by OEM is the type of carbon heater they offer. But not sure if it will work with the factory switches. It seems like they don't and not sure how to make them work. Not sure what to get. What is nice is they offer a video on how to install them.
I looked around my area and found one place that does seat upholstery, etc, but they refuse to deal with heated seats. I haven't looked anywhere else yet. I may order them and hire someone to do it for me since I've never had any luck with seat cushions.
I heard Dodge and others don't offer heated seats with cloth seats. Would you know if that's true and if so, why?
Thanks, Mike!
Ace
begin 666 trans_1x1.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end
Probably because cloth seats will not distribute the heat properly and not protect the heater elements.
"Aceman" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In stated, which I commented on below:

I would think that the heating element would be responsible for distribution and not the material. I thought about protection of the element as well, but I would think leather and suede aren't much less pervious than cloth, unless I'm way off base?
Ace
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I don't know about previous years or other models but I know in the 2007 Dakota you can get heated cloth seats. I have to assume they are also available on other 2007 Dodge trucks and cars as well. I would think the only reason they didn't offer them in previous years was because cloth was the 'standard' choice whereas leather was the 'premium' selection. If you weren't going to pay for the leather seats then you probably wouldn't want to pay for the heated seat option either. Just my guess.
In stated, which I commented on below:

That makes sense. I thought it may have been a fire hazard or something.
Thanks!
Ace
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I don't think the heating element carries enough current to be a fire hazard but I don't know that for sure. But I've had a cloth covered recliner in my house with a heater in it for years. And it's frame is made out of wood! Good luck with your project. Those heated seats are sure nice on the old hind end during the cold spells.
In stated, which I commented on below:

Yes, they are nice and toasty on a cold day. After hunting around a bit, I found a local place to do both seats for $420 with a 3 year warranty. Figured the kits are about $300 or so for two seats, paying someone that can do it in the fraction of the time I can is well worth the extra $120. Gong to see what he wants to put the switch on the dash. He said they can't use the factory switches. Darn...
Thanks for your help! :-)
Ace
Followup on the seats - Got them put in from an upholstery guy. He wanted to mount the switches on the seat's power seat switch panel but I didn;t want them there. I wanted them on the dash. To the left and right of the heater controls is an open area in the silver area. The switches need a 20mm hole saw. I thought that would be the best place and would look OEM.
However he didn't know how to take the dash apart to pull the center piece (the part with the heater controls) off so to drill the holes. I thought to pull the panel around the GPS nav unit and it would expose the screws for it, but didn't know how to do that either. WTF, what an ordeal. I should have went somewhere else. Now I have to get someone else to complete it unless someone here knows how to get the panel off. Currently got the two switches hanging out the center console. Oh well...
Ace

Fold the cupholder down, and there's two screws upside-down that hold the bottom of the center bezel. Remove these, then pop the panel off.
In stated, which I commented on below:

Thanks, Tom. I figured it out after the fact. The way this truck is, you have to take apart the center console to take the backing trim plate out that covers those two screws. I was hoping for a differnet or easier solution, but I talked to one of the techs at the dealer who is familiar with my truck and he said that's the only way to get it apart. I had him put in the UConnect for me (which I posted about in another post). I asked him to drill two holes into the top of that plate so I can access the bezel screws directly without having to take apart that whole mess again.
As for the seat heater switches, there is no room in those spots because they are taken up by mount screws for the actual pieces mounted into the bezel. I may just rip out these heaters and get the other ones before I do any more drilling.
Ace

Dammit.... they went stupid again. I was pleasantly surprised that the dash in my '03 was about the easiest one to work on that I'd seen/owned. It sounds like they hired a Ford designer for the newer trucks.... idiots.
In stated, which I commented on below:

LOL! It was probably someone they wooed over from Ford for some reason!