Adjusting for better fuel economy.

Page 1 of 2
I know that you can adjust the computer for more horsepower, but can you take some power out of it to get better fuel economy? I'm 40, and dont care about
all the power but want to save some on my 14 miles to the gallon highway. If you can how or who can do it. (please dont sugest the dealer) Richard
Richard Howard via CarKB.com wrote:

What is it that you drive?
Sorry, brain fart. Dodge 1500 quad cab, 4x4 with the large v8 (5.7)? 2002 dirtclod wrote:

Richard Howard via CarKB.com wrote:

Trade it in for a rice burner?
Bob

Imo All these mileage improvement things are just to get ya to spend your money. All ya can do is tune it, change the fluids and filters regularly, keep the air up in the tires and drive like there is a egg under your right foot. Remember it is a truck.
Roy
Put a diesel motor in it-- Not pratical But their is no way to get good gas milage with a 360 4X4 truck
I used the Edge Comp ( 5 stage programmer ) in my CTD with a 4 inch exhaust and I get 18 mpg in town and 22 mpg on the highway. By adding the extra horsepower I increased my fuel mileage. They may have a similar application for a gas motor.
In theory it might get better MPG, but I notice none of the power programmer manufacturer's give that data.

What is the speed you do to get that 22 MPG? "Highway" means so many different things to so many different drivers....
FMB (North Mexico)
I used the Edge Comp ( 5 stage programmer ) in my CTD with a 4 inch exhaust and I get 18 mpg in town and 22 mpg on the highway. By adding the extra horsepower I increased my fuel mileage. They may have a similar application for a gas motor.

Please explain how using more fuel will increase your mileage. Please tell us more about this truck, tires, rear gears, transmission, 2wd or 4wd.
Roy
more horsepower does not have to come from more fuel usage. Better eficiency could be a factor. Anyway, thanks for all the comments, wether helpful or not.
Roy wrote:

When I rebuilt the 318 in my old D-150, it had been getting a consistent 14.5 mpg on the highway and about 11 mpg around town.
That was with the 2 bbl Carter emissions carb, dual plane EGR intake and all the smog equipment. In the rebuild, I kept only the PCV. I used a 1972 calibrated Carter carb and the single 2-bbl intake from a 318 72 Dart.
In theory, because both main jets are now feeding all cylinders instead of each jet feeding half of the cylinders, my gas mileage should have dropped. to about 10 or 12 on the highway. With duals, my son gets 26 mpg highway
Instead, I gained 10 mpg on the highway (24 mpg) and 8 mpg in town (19 mpg) on 89 octane fuel.
More fuel doesn't mean less mileage if you have more air to mix with it.
--
Budd Cochran

what does that mean? Roy wrote:

What does what mean?

the edge fattens up
Roy wrote:

Edge adds more fuel to a diesel.

True, when people don't bother to reduce the intake restrictions (the infamous silencer for example on some diesels) or improve the exhaust systems. Improve those and you can see an improvement in economy.
This is one thing I'd really like to take the EPA to task over since there are many little tricks that do improve economy of an engine and the performance considerably but may not be as ecologically horrid as the EPA claims. Water injection is one item, for example on gasoline engines , that improves performance, reduces octane requirement and reduces oxides of Nitrogen.
--
Budd Cochran