Aftermarket Air Cleaners

Page 1 of 3
I own a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab powered by the Hemi. I bought it new and the dealer's parts manager mentioned that installing aftermarket air cleaners on my rig would void the warrenty. They
specificly mentioned the K&N line. I was thinking about installing a different air cleaner setup to improve gas mileage. Does anyone know if what the parts manager said is true, will it void my warrenty? And, has anyone installed a different air cleaner setup on their truck and did improve your mileage?
Thank you.
Jim
Jimbo wrote:

Many aftermarket filters allow too much dirt through them despite their claims. Thats why it could void the engine warranty. However, the burden of proof would be on the auto manufacture to prove that damage was caused by the filter. Possibly with oil tests showing increased silicates from dirt. They can't just void it simply because of the filter.

Thank you for the info miles.

I disagree. If a K&N is not approved it can void warranty. Many GM owners have found out the hard way when the oil on the K&N fouled MAF sensor and it required replacement and they were charged for it under warranty. It is also well documented that the very slight increase in airflow is achieved with less filtering. Another myth is this MPG thing. A engine is driven by the heat of expanding gas from combustion as this expanding gas drives pistons down to turn crank. This heat comes from the BTU content of the fuel. "X" amount of fuel must be consumed to provide enough energy to power vehicle down the road and no aircleaner will change that as modern engine controls will keep mixture correct so the air cleaner will not change this either. Power gains with a K&N are more a state of mind than reality but John Q. Public wants to beleive in magic add on cures and K&N laughs all the way to the bank. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

filter.
Up to this point he is 100% correct. It's the oil that ruins the MAF. Keep the stock filter.
Al

Let's be careful with the terms here. Presence of an aftermarket filter will NOT "void" a warranty. That's something done at the corporate level, and means that the manufacturer will no longer provide any warranty support, regardless of the problem. By law, they can not do that simply due to the existance of an aftermarket part. In general, warranties can only be voided for odometer tampering, emissions tampering, or abuse (and is stated as such in your warranty booklet).
What CAN happen is that the dealership will refuse warranty service on a particular claim, because the aftermarket item caused or contributed to the problem. In this case, a fouled MAF sensor would not be covered under warranty, because very likely an over-oiled filter fouled the sensor and caused the problem in the first place. However, that same vehicle would still be eligible for warranty service on anything else that was NOT caused by the aftermarket filter. Of course, now you open yourself up to some debate as to whether or not your aftermarket piece was a factor in any subsequent failure
On Apr 5, 10:02 am, "Tom Lawrence"

I agree with Tom and I do wish that this is a point that everyone would listen too. A properly cleaned and maintained oil wetted fillter will not (should not) cause any issues with the MAF. I have one on my truck, have had it for over a year, I clean it and oil it properly, per the makers instructions and have NEVER had an issue with my MAF or anything else. Add to this that I live in AZ which is ALWAYS dusty.
Now before anyone starts with the "Didn't you just replace your cats" Yes I did, due to miliage 180k on the odometer, that happens with age and miliage and is not related to my use of an oil wetted filter.
azwiley1 wrote:

Every single person I know who lives in AZ who has tested their oil pre and post K&N has reported higher silicates after switching to the K&N. Thats why I refuse to use them. There are other similar filters that do a better job such as NAPA or WIX. K&N just has the marketing power!

I can't dispute or disclaim that miles, I am not running a K$N brand oil-wetted filter. All I can say is that with the filter I use, PROPERLY maintained, I have not had an issue. I check the MAF/MAS every month when I pull the filter, check the t-body every other (unless something indicated I need to).

I'm like you. After spending $36k on the truck, just give me the dealer part or an acceptable substitute. I don't want to go experimenting around. Seems like a lot of guys look for the extended life components and magic bullets because they don't like to do suggested maintenance in a timely fashion.
Steve
azwiley1 wrote:

What brand of filter are you using? As I've seen there are some decent cleanable, reusable filters available. K&N just isn't one of them. Even the better ones did not show any appreciable gains in performance or mpg but they did filter well. Is yours in conjuction with a CAI? If so that could be benificial as the Rams (at least on mine) has a rather restrictive intake duct.
Yes, it is in conjunction with a CAI, and a VERY free flowing exhaust (3" Dynomax Bullet) Like you said a filter alone would not likely provide any gains, and I think that if it did, it would be so negilable that you wouldn't even notice it. Like the Ram, the Chevy has a very restrictive OE air flow system, the air tube going from the MAF to the t-body is REALLY wired looking. It has air "channels" to hold air in and quite down the "noise"
I am running a set up from AFE. Not the greatest one out there, but the price was right. :) Now, if I keep the Chevy, I will get rid of this one and put on a Volant CAI as everything I read about them leads me to believe that they are one of the best ones out there.

You disagree! I expected you to be the expert:) Read this:
Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter #04-07-30-013A - (Jan 25, 2005)
Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/ Over- Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter
2005 and Prior GM Cars and Light Duty Trucks 2005 and Prior Saturn Models 2003-2005 HUMMER H2
This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and to clarify warranty coverage. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).
DO THIS
First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively over- oiled air filter
DON'T DO THIS
DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter.
The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:
. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On . Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s) . Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range
The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.
When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over- oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.
The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty. If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.
Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

Was that towards me, or Sno*?

I think it was pointed at Sno* Tom...

I was wondering that myself. Hey Tom, my truck has produced an error code P1294 which translates into an overly high idle. I am thinking that the IAC is acting up since I have yet to ever touch that TB. Do you have any ideas before I start tearing things apart. It also has a bad O2 sensor "drivers side" that is going to be replaced as soon as I have time. Damn things are expensive.

Yep... just recently helped a buddy replace one of his O2 sensors on his '00 Durango. He was having all kinds of drivability problems once his engine warmed up... engine stumbling, wanting to stall... mashing the gas cleared it up (funny - only seemed to act up when in closed loop :). Funny thing was, no codes were ever set. We changed his upstream O2 sensor on a hunch, and he's been trouble-free since. $80 or so, but at least it cured the problem.
On your high idle, yeah - I'd suspect the IAC first and foremost. Pull it out and soak the pintle end in some good carbon cleaner. I remember several years back, someone did a test of various fuel injector cleaners and whatnot, and found that Gumout Regane (honey-colored, not the clear stuff) worked just a bit better than Techron, and far better than any of the other off-the-shelf products he found. I know Mopar combustion cleaner does a hell of a job inside the cylinder - just don't know how well it would work sans heat.
The simple visual test for the IAC motor is to pull it out of the TB, leave the wiring connected, and turn the ignition to on. The pintle should move smoothly from all the way out, to all the way in, then settle back to almost all the way out again. Any hesitation indicates gunk in the works. If it doesn't get better after a soaking, they're only about $40 or so. Rock Auto sells a Standard Motor replacement for $38:
http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?AC68.html
Of course, while you're at it, it's never a bad idea to pull the whole TB, remove the other pieces (TPS switch, and MAP sensor), and give it a good bath, as well.

More or less it was just info. But Sno was right, about Chevy at least. The repair for the MAF is about $700. The dealer must replace the air filter and other removed hardware, clean the air inlet and replace the MAF.
As far as I know, not very far:) does not void the truck warranty.
Back in the day, when I worked for Chrysler, they would photograph cars at the drag strip. And they definitely canceled the warranties.
Al

Again I would like to point out to everyone the phrase that most seem to conveniently over look concerning this issue. It is in Big Al's post multiple times and that is
EXCESSIVELY OVER OILED!!!!!!!!!!!!! A oil wetted filter that is PROPERLY maintained, cleaned and oiled WILL NOT likely result in ANY of the mentioned problems.

You're overlooking the "little oil good, lots of oil better" mentality.
beekeep